Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Emails Coming In or Going Out!

C6REW
Grafter

No Emails Coming In or Going Out!

Hi All,
Newbie to the site here and wonder if anyone can help.
I should start by saying we have a business account that plusnet have decided in their own wisdom to change to a residential account! This gave me enough problems without the following!
For some time we have been getting problems with emails not coming in. Using our domain name extensions emails won't leave Outlook and I have the following error message:
Task 'Chris - sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 452 ... Temporary failure'
After much messing around we found out that in Outlook settings if we change the email address to the force9 address emails were going out.
But this seemed to change on a daily basis, sometimes working, sometimes not.
Two days ago I realised we were not getting the volume of emails as normal and yesterday afternoon they stopped coming in altogether.
The only way an email can arrive is if it is sent to the force9 address and not out domain name.
I spent another fruitless 3 hours on the phone last night talking to four different very nice but really clueless people. Sorry force9, but that is a fact! I kept getting cut off and no one phoned me back and every time I called back I had to go through the same story again! After a day that started at 05:00 and ended at 01:00 this morning and included a 500 mile drive you will appreciate how frustrated I was!
The last support person indicated that the problem may be the 'redirects' for all of our email addresses. Well there are none in there and I have never set them up so can only assume that force9 did this for us years ago. But were have they gone now? If it is this, then I cannot seem to work out how to set up a redirect. So any assistance would be useful.
I am hoping that someone out there will know what the problem is. At the moment I am aware of emails sent but not arrived and am obviously deeply concerned.
I should say that I sent a support email last night but am concerned that I have not received a response and will be out of the office for most of the day today.
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards
Chris
28 REPLIES 28
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No Emails Coming In or Going Out!

Current residential accounts don't include domains - but people moving across should keep all the extras they currently have. However we've seen a number of occasions where this doen't happen and people lose things when changing accounts.
Is your domain still shown here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2&?membermenu=domainnames ?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi C6REW,
It looks like the A and MX records were missing from the domain, I've made some changes that should sort that but will take up to 24 hours to take effect. I'll check again later today, but please let us know if it's not working tomorrow and we'll check further.
C6REW
Grafter

Hi Guys,
Thanks for coming back to me. Been out all day.
Hi jelv,
Yes I still have the domain name against the account. Still don't know why they changed it to a residential account without my permission?
Hi Matt,
I was told it should be sorted within 24 hours but I have now got a message to say it will be worked on again on Monday! This surely has to be wrong! I have a business to run and am currently missing at least two days of emails.
Best regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

Hi All,
Still nothing and the 24 hours is nearly up.
Getting frustrated at the lack of emails. My business, like most modern ones, survives by emails. With 15,000 customers who contact us mainly via email, I am concerned at what we should be doing that we are missing!
I will have to get a back up system for the future methinks!
Best regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

Morning,
Still nothing. No emails at all, just bounce back ones and those I have had addressed to the full email address.
Sorry but I think plusnet is turning into a joke for me and my company. Never seen this quality of poor service before.

Regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

Hi All,
What a total farce!
Still nothing working and nothing has been done at all!
I feel that plusnet have no interest in their customers at all.
Regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

This is turning into a comedy of errors!
We have been on the phone all morning trying to speak to the residential team as the business department don't want to talk to us. Even though it is plusnets's fault that our account has been changed over to a residential account.
So I tried again to speak to the business department and they keep refusing! I ask to speak to a Manager to get them to sort this mess out. Then we go into a fire drill and the support person has to say bye and put the phone down!
Oh my what a mess!
By the way, the support people are polite and helpful.
Regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

What the heck is wrong with this company!
I have been put incorrectly into a residential account who are not answering the phone.
I have tried to get someone in the business team to put me through to a manager and they refuse.
Why when I have a buisness account the plusnet decided in their infinite wisdom to change to a residential one I am a total loss as to who to turn to. Residential have not been answering the phone all morning.
This company is a sham and I aim to prove why when this problem is sorted.
Chris
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since you aren't getting anywhere through normal CSC channels I suggest raising a complaint via the help assistant - follow the "Online" path described in Section 1 of the Complaints Code of Practice document. Cross refer to this thread in the text.
David
David
C6REW
Grafter

Hi David,
Many thanks for your help and suggestion. I will raise a complaint now.
I am at a loss to know how this company can let a business like our loose money and customers when as I understand it, this is a simple problem.
Amazing really, but I will get to the bottom of it.
Best regards
Chris
C6REW
Grafter

Hi David,
If I was being synical I would say they did this deliberately! I have just gone to raise a complaint and found out at the same time as one ticket was taken off and another put on that you can only have three open at any time and I have three open!
I can confirm that the technical support team on the residential side have been spoken to by one of my staff and they have admitted that the fault is beyond them. They have also stated that it will be fixed within 72 hours! My colleague explained that this cannot happen!
In the meantime one of the tickets that has just been raised by plusnet is to check the phone recording of when I was offered a new account and the fact that I was not told it is a Residential one.
I feel like I am the only person between Plusnet and me that actually cares what is happening!
Best regards
Chris
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chris,
I'm really sorry for the way this is carrying on. I'm looking into both the domain issues and the account change for you and will update you shortly.
C6REW
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi Chris,
I'm really sorry for the way this is carrying on. I'm looking into both the domain issues and the account change for you and will update you shortly.

Thank you Matt. I am hoping that you have more power than the people whom I have been talking have.
At the age of 57 next Monday I cannot remember the last time I lost my temper nor got this stressed, but not one person in your business support department would listen or help. I am a reasonable man and understand the limitations that we all have to work within. But this is a total joke and in the meantime my customers cannot get hold of us via email which is their normal contact method.
We supply very important products in 24 hours. If our customers cannot fix the problem caused by the lack of this product they will be fined £300,000 a DAY! You can see how crucial it is for us to be contactable! It is fair to say that a lot of them will of course phone, but I cannot take into account all of those who send an email asking for a product to be delivered, expect a response and find out 2 - 4 days later that their message was not received!
Best regards

Chris
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, that's the domain records mostly sorted - there's MX records now showing so mail will begin to come through. Really sorry that wasn't fixed before now.
I'll update you on the account change this afternoon.