Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New webmail site on Android

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New webmail site on Android

Is the new webmail system supposed to work on an Android (v4)  tablet? I don't use webmail a lot and my first experience of it was last night using my tablet. First it seems the address book hasn't been sync'd properly, the address book is out of date and not the same as the old webmail site, but the two main problems I was having was it wouldn't let me save a new entry to my address book (I could enter info in the fields but when I tried to save the entry it just disappeared) and also the site kept timing out on me, I suppose the longest I could stay logged in was about a minute and then the session expired.
I've tried adding a new entry this morning using my windows machine and it works fine.
How do I sync address books between the two systems old and new) or should they remain sync'd automatically.
I've never had problems with the old site on my android tablet so for now I'll be keeping to that.
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
gswindale
Grafter

Re: New webmail site on Android

Just out of interest - why are you using the webmail interface?  Can you not use IMAP to sync between the email app and the PN servers?
kmilburn
Grafter

One probable reason,  webmail is secure,  IMAP is not as PlusNet appear reluctant to provide secure access...  Angry
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: geofftswin
Just out of interest - why are you using the webmail interface? 

Convenience really. The PN email is not my main address and is used for subscribing to some forums and software sites where I don't want a lot of advertising emails sent to my main address.
Judging from the lack of response from PN they're  not sure if it works on Android or not  Lips_are_sealed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Interesting nobody seems to have tried it on Android during the trial or if they did they didn't report any problems
brianex121
Grafter

for Oldjim - "Old Harry Rocks "  does he indeed!  Cool
kmilburn
Grafter

I can confirm that the address book doesn't appear to work correctly with with stock browser in ICS (v4.0.3).
I haven't experienced any problem with the session timing out  though.
From what  I'm aware though,  the stock browser as problems on a significant  number of websites.
I'd recommend installing Chrome, Opera or Firefox instead
I had tried roundcube on my GS2  with gingerbreads stock browser and it is mostly useless,  but then,  squirrelmail didn't work properly either.