Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New webmail problems?

FIXED
pbt
Hooked

New webmail problems?

For the last day or 2 the only thing showing in my list of folders is the Inbox. No sent mail or deleted mail, or the others I've set up.

Are they coming back? Because there are plenty of things in there that I wouldn't like to lose. I can't tell if the folders are still there for real with the client that I have handy - at least not without retrieving all the messages currently in my inbox.

Yes - I know webmail is unsupported and really I should move all my email away from PlusNet. And yes, it is ridiculous that PlusNet doesn't provide a fully supported solution for this. I do not want to start a discussion on either topic.

28 REPLIES 28
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: New webmail problems?

PBT says: Yes - I know webmail is unsupported and really I should move all my email away from PlusNet. And yes, it is ridiculous that PlusNet doesn't provide a fully supported solution for this. I do not want to start a discussion on either topic.

You have answered the points you are raising, and you don't want a discussion, so why bother posting? Going by the past week's postings many if not most people on this forum would agree with all you say. 

pbt
Hooked

@Longliner wrote:

You have answered the points you are raising, and you don't want a discussion, so why bother posting? Going by the past week's postings many if not most people on this forum would agree with all you say. 

I didn't want to go over the same ground again, with people just telling me not to use it.

I guess I really just wanted to know if I'm alone in seeing this, and if it is an issue for clients or just webmail.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for your post @pbt and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues seeing your folders in webmail.

This may likely be due to how webmail is displaying your folders, not that they're actually gone from our server as we're aware of odd performance problems like this we're working on getting to the bottom of.

I've checked your mailbox and I can see there's 227 messages dating back to 2014. 

Can you try going to Settings > Folders and make sure they're all ticked? 

If they are, try using basic webmail from Here and/or going through the steps Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pbt
Hooked

Thanks for that @Gandalf - they were not ticked. I have ticked them all (a couple of times - didn't seem to accept them the first time) and all now visible.

Thanks for your help.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

For those who might be interested, if you change your email address in Plusnet settings to another email provider, you will get Plusnet communications to your new address and also to your Plusnet address.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

'Odd performance problems' !!!!!!  Are you kidding me?

The whole webmail system is corrupted and you know it so please don't lie to us anymore.

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Okay guys, it appears that the webmail is going to be ditched by Plus Net.  So, I need an alternative to the webmail to check my mail in browser with 3 different email addresses.

Alternatively, do I change my email address to ensure that I am no longer dependent on Plus Net (which will enable me to switch to a more economical ISP).

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Many regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Plus Net Customer Service takes the notice of my post above.  Hope they have something to contribute to this discussion about the Webmail.

Chandu.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Do you have official confirmation of that claim, or is it speculation? - I haven't heard anything.

John
chandu
Rising Star

@jab1 ,

Sorry, I was away for the weekend to respond to your post.

I had a  phone chat, in frustration, with PN Customer service regarding the webmail with numerous server failures which tended to drive me really "mad".  I happened to mention to him that I was literally fed up with the service of the webmail and he seemed to have agreed with me and that they are seriously thinking about the current webmail client.  There was no commitment on way or the other, but I am reading between the lines.

@ Bob Pullen: It would be really interesting for Mr. Bob Pullen to comment on this serious issue with the Roundcube webmail client.  So, Mr. Pullen, what do you think?

I await comments.

Many regards,

Chandu.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Why people use webmail, rather than a proper client has intrigued me for almost as long as I have been on the internet - maybe 30+ years. the only time I venture there is to delete/report obvious spam - if I can be bothered, and I don't think I've had more than a couple of frustrating episodes in all that time.

FYI, Bob Pullens' responsibilities don't extend to the webmail platform. 'Thinking about' the current client is not to say they are abandoning webmail.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah I know,

Problem is companies prefer sending e-mail (as opposed to something that physically exists) because it is cheaper than sending a physical letter. Of course it is to help to save the planet, environment, and our carbon footprint.

Nothing to do with saving money not having to send a physical letter - I used to upload an XML file daily (for an external company mail merge).

Sorry back on topic a bit now, but yes @jab1 I agree as I use Exchange hosting from my own domains and I would struggle with webmail now. Unless it was something urgent I just stick to using e-mail on my computer (meaning send and receive) and just read on my phone.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Gandalf

Your fix cannot be implemented anymore because there is only one folder showing (ie. the 'Inbox' ) when you click on 'Manage Folders' .  Where are all my other folders and how do I retrieve them?

How can I transfer my thousands of emails to another email system. 

The problem I have is that your webmail system has become unacceptably and laughably poor but only after I've saved many important messages in multiple folders . I need these messages and folders for future reference so provide me a way that I can download them in bulk for transfer to another email system.

chandu
Rising Star

OK Guys,

I noticed that the PN Webmail is very stable and behaving itself today.  So, Support guys, what have you guys done for it be so stable all of a sudden?

I await your response.

Regards,

Chandu.