Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user to Plusnet Webmail

FIXED
imbart
Dabbler

New user to Plusnet Webmail

I am a new user to Plusnet Webmail on Windows 10 (Edge) which so far I have mainly used for testing. The email address I use is also that of my existing main Outlook Express on another computer (an old XP)  which I have had for many years and therefore shared between the two.  I have no problems at all. It all seems to work perfectly.  I am considering  ditching the XP  and hope the Windows 10 Webmail seamlessly takes the email over as I understand the messages are all on a central server.. The only thing I notice is that if I delete a message on Webmail it also deletes the same message(s) on  the other and vice versa. 

I believe Outlook Express is POP and Webmail is IMAP.  If I were to delete the Outlook Express setup would that cause a problem with receiving mail on Webmail alone or is Outlook Express the main component essential to keep.

I may be a prolific computer user but I am not always sure of how things operate

I would add that my Outlook Express email is from Globalnet which moved tp Madasafish and then Plusnet..

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: New user to Plusnet Webmail

Webmail is always IMAP.

Any other email interface can be IMAP or POP3 depending on how you configure it. It is unwise to use POP in any setup where you want to access the same mailbox from more than one device.

POP3 keeps sent items to itself. Badly configured it will remove emails from the server (making that device the sole repository of your email history) thereby making them unavailable to the IMAP devices.

Make life simple for yourself, make everything IMAP.

Make sure you have a full back up of all local folders on your POP3 device before destroying the account(s).

Win10 mail is not the best of email applications. There is no reason why you should not use OLE on Win10.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

imbart
Dabbler

Thank you, Townman

I am most grateful for your advice.

Sorry to be a nuisance but are you saying it is safe to remove my Outlook Express app (or program) completely from my XP and then Webmail as it stands in my other computer will then work as my sole email with the same email address?

This is what I am hoping for.  I appreciate caveats about folders etc but I have no emails whatsoever saved so I could simply take Outlook Express out and carry on ?

.Warm regards

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix
I need to clarify the use of terminology - “Webmail” is the web browser based interface to Plusnet’s email service here - http://webmail.plus.net

You can access that through any web browser on any device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

imbart
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am already using that sign in interface for Plusnet Webmail and I shall eventually get rid of OLE.  Although a prolific computer user I am still a technophobe and value advice from knowledgeable people such as yourself.

Thank you for your assistance.