Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user email setup

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New user email setup

My sister had her go live email yesterday and this morning I tried to set up new broadband, no sync, fault raised etc. but that's a separate issue
However whilst at her address I said I would configure her outlook settings so she can download her plusnet email (she still has a separate broadband connection on a different line from the business beneath her flat) .
I couldn't get the email to work, maybe because it requires authentication because she is using a different provider, I'm unsure, but that aside I tried to log in through webmail and couldn't access it either. Is it possible the initial email address she provided when placing the order hasn't been set up at Plusnet's end or do you have to create the first email account manually. It was 9 years ago I set mine up and I got a postmaster address and my first email setup for me, I thought (maybe I created it, my memory fails me).
Entering manage emails in the member centre doesn't have a list as I am used to seeing for my account, just an add new mail box, entering info here seems to do nothing.
Reading the email setup guides offers no further info.
Never had a problem myself but my sister is not impressed so far to say the least.
Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New user email setup

If you send an email to what you believe to be your sister's Plusnet email address does it bounce back as unknown user (or similar)? If it's delivered the mailbox should be working and should be listed in the Manage My Mail tool. If no mailboxes have been setup MMM normally defaults to setting up an email address the first time it is entered.
At the moment your sister's broadband service might not have started - until it does she will not be able to send messages even using authentication from a non-Plusnet connection. However she should be able to login on webmail - but make sure when sending that the correct "identity" (sender email address) will be used.
David
rja66
Rising Star

Sent a test email as suggested and it was indeed returned as address not registered on the server. I'm a bit disappointed that Plusnet haven't set this up as she had the go live email on Friday. Perhaps their is no line fault either and the whole service isn't live?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry I'm not familiar with Plusnet's processes when the user requests a new email address be set-up on signup. Since your sister has received an email I assume she supplied an alternative email address for communications; perhaps that changes how things work.
If she opens the Manage My Mail tool and an email address has not already been defined I think the "Create New Email Address" panel should be presented. She should be able to enter her choice there and create the mailbox. (It will be necessary for her to login to the Member Centre.) Was it this process that you previously mentioned didn't work?
David
rja66
Rising Star

Yes, she currently has use of another broadband line and email but only for a few days now. This shouldn't affect her Plusnet mail account though. The fact she can't even access it using webmail suggests its not active. I've tried on two occasions to create a new email address using the manage my mail tool, the text just disappears with no sign of any acknowledgement that anything has been set in motion etc. I seem to recall a new email address takes 24hrs to set up anyway? - cant really remember now as its been a few years since I created a new one for myself.
Thanks for your help anyway, hopefully a Plusnet member of staff may read this and advise or we will have to raise another ticket.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It might be helpful to staff (who should be around on Monday) if you could post a ticket or service notice number from your sister's account to help them identify the account. Best not post her username on a public forum.
David
rja66
Rising Star

Update:
Was able to create mailboxes yesterday and check them using webmail today. Issue resolved.
It looks like Chris sorted an email problem their end as he mentioned something on another post.
Not sure why PN didn't set up the mailbox in the first place though as suggested at sign up.....
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved. Smiley
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Was that this thread?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116548.0.html
If so I only fixed the problem on that specific account, nothing more than that!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rja66
Rising Star

Yes Chris it was that thread. Something had changed since the weekend as yesterday we were presented with the menus I am familiar with for creating mailboxes which weren't available before.