cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet - Help with Outlook Express

dougsharp

New to Plusnet - Help with Outlook Express

Hi all,
Have just signed up with Plusnet - new router turned up last week, and broadband was activated. Plugged new router in and got a big flash and bang! Plusnet quickly sent out a replacement, but in the meantime I tried to connect via my old Voyager 105 modem, which was successful when i put in username and password. Was able to access web(Firefox and Explorer) and mail through Outlook Express without having to change any settings.
Connected new router today - was able to access web straight away through Firefox, but wouldn't connect to Explorer. Also was unable to send/receive any e-mails through Outlook Express - said it can't connect.
Had a quick look at setup guides on Plusnet site, but am reluctant to make any changes to mail settings, as it all seemed to be working fine through old router, but would really like to make use of wireless facilities of new router.
Any help/advice greatfully received.
Thanks
Doug
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: New to Plusnet - Help with Outlook Express

It sounds like IE and OE are set to 'dial a network connection' using your old Voyager modem.
To connect via the new router they need to use the LAN connection.
In IE :- click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click Connections and ensure that 'Never dial a connection' is selected.
I'm not completely sure about OE since I've not used it for some time but I think its :- click on Tools> Options. Click on the Connections tab. Under Internet Connection Settings click the Change button. Remove anything in the Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings window. If you are given the option to Never Dial A Connection click that.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dougsharp

Mister W - you're a star! Very many thanks. Had hoped it was something simple and indeed it was.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I still use O/Express on one of my laptops running XP Pro; it's Address Book search facility is far, far superior
to that of Outlook 2007.
Googling I see many complain about Outlook's uselessness in that respect; hopefully current version of Outlook
has fixed.