cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New provider, kept email but can't send email from Thunderbird anymore...

pgl150

New provider, kept email but can't send email from Thunderbird anymore...

Hi, I recently joined a new provider but requested that I keep my plusnet email account which is working absolutely fine on my iPhone and via Webmail and I can receive and send emails all day long.

However, I use Thunderbird as my email client on my PC and have previously had no problems sending or receiving emails until just after I left plusnet. I can now still receive emails, but annoyingly can't send anything at all as I keep getting the following error message:

Sending of the message failed.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:<destination email> recipient rejected - relay denied.

Please check the message recipient "destination email" and try again.

I've tried emailing different emails and it's still the same. I've googled it and haven't solved it. There was an old thread on here I read with the same problem in 2019 I think but the detail of how it actually got resolved was never stated.

Can anyone please help? It's driving me mad...

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: New provider, kept email but can't send email from Thunderbird anymore...

@pgl150 Welcome to the forums. If you are no longer a PN customer, you will need to authenticate the PN mail servers in order to be able to send from your PN accounts.

John
pgl150

Hi and thanks for the welcome and quick response.

So for the lay person what does that mean in terms of configuring settings? I’ve tried a few things already without success so what do I need to do to achieve this?

Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You need to change the settings for the outgoing server (relay.plus.net) to use authentication. Use the same username & password that you specify for the incoming server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@pgl150 What have you tried? - I only ask in case you have done something which could cause problems.

What you need to do is: - In Tbird: Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server(SMTP), ensure you have Plusnet server - relay.plus.net in the top R/H pane, select it then - if I remember correctly, it is a long time since I did it - edit - and you should be able to enter your details as in the picture below. The username is you Plusnet username.

PN Mail.PNG

Hope that helps, but come back if you have queries.

@MisterW was quicker.

John
pgl150

Thanks so much everyone!

That did the trick...well happy now. 🙂