Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New folder problem with Plusnet imap and ipad

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

New folder problem with Plusnet imap and ipad

Hoping someone knows the answer to this. With my Waitrose realm IMAP email I can add "mailboxes"  ie folders from my iPad as part of the IMAP folder and this sync across all my devices with no problem.
A family member tried to the same with her plusnet IMAP mail and an error ' unable to create mailbox on server" appears. So I tried it usng my Plusnet email and I get the same error!
All we are trying to do is add a sub folder(s) to avoid having one massive in box with no 'filing/ grouping' of mails which is rather unwieldy.
Is there some restriction on Plusnet Imap to stop us adding folders or is there another way of doing this?
Many thanks in anticipation,
Graham.
15 REPLIES 15
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: New folder problem with Plusnet imap and ipad

I saw this recently but didn't look into why it was happening.
The quickest way to add a folder is to use the webmail interface accessed here https://webmail.plus.net
That's RPM to you!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Graham,
Can you please describe very clearly what you have configured and what you are trying to achieve?
I have my emailbox configured for IMAP operation on my PC (using Outlook 2010), my iPhone and iPad.
I have just created a new folder "Test Folder" on the PC.  In the time it took me to pick up my phone, unlock it and open the mail box on there, the folder was visible on the iPhone.
Check that all IMAP configurations are identical - using authentication and port 587.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Kevin, I believe they were trying to add a folder within the email app on the iPad, which I saw failed to work on my iPod.
That's RPM to you!!
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi,
As RPM says I have an IMPAP plusnet email setup. What I want is to be able to do add extra folder(s) from my my ipad.
My IMAP server settings are set up with correct port no.s as you describe.
In the Ipad you go into mail, the plusnet account, select "edit", then "new mailbox" (I.e. new IMAP folder), enter then name and then "save".,, that's when the error occurs.
I discovered that If you go into plusnet webmail and create the folder there it works, but that's far more clunky.
With my waitrose mail, I can do what I described above and it works.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Grahamn,
We rather need Bob Pullen on this one.
There is wide spread comment about this Apple functionality not working across the Internet, however you are finding that it works on the Waitrose IMAPservices (Plusnet provided) but not the naked PlusNET IMAP servers. So there must be some difference; though even if it is identifiable, it might not be alter able.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Try setting the IMAP path prefix to INBOX (if you haven't)
See this for info

Actually, try removing the INBOX prefix...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I suspect @pwatson is right. It's likely due to IMAP namespace differences between Waitrose and Plusnet, although I would have thought the INBOX prefix would have been required for a Plusnet account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks Guys! Changing the IMAP path prefix to INBOX worked (it was null)
Many thanks for all your help - very much appreciated.
Graham.

pwatson
Rising Star

Glad I pointed you in the right direction, even if I was completely wrong!  Grin
grahamn
Rising Star

You weren't wrong, it was completely correct as the setting I needed to change and that's very much appreciated  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting solution, which raises the question of exactly what is the purpose if this configuration item?
Hitherto the only apparent difference this has made (in Outlook 2010) is to alter the presentation of the Sent / Draft / Trash folders between appearing as peer to or sub folders of the Inbox.  In other words it has not appeared to be overly important.
Why does it make a difference here between the Waitrose servers and the PlusNET servers?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Townman
Why does it make a difference here between the Waitrose servers and the PlusNET servers?

Plusnet uses the default namespace configuration convention for the software we're using - INBOX. Because of this, all special folders, like Sent, Drafts etc., are created as sub-directories of the main Inbox. If you try to create a new IMAP folder at the same level as the Inbox then this will fail as it is not permitted.
Some clients will handle this gracefully, others require extra configuration (as we've found here).
Waitrose is the product of our acquisition of Brightview/Madasafish back in 2007. Whilst the back-end server relies on the same software these days, it didn't before we integrated the platform and the namespace works slightly differently. Instead of special folders being sub-directories, they sit at the same level as the main Inbox. When we migrated customers to Plusnet's email platform, we preserved this behaviour to avoid complications.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Bob,
Thanks for that.
So to be precise, when configuring an IMAP client against the PlusNET servers, one ought to specify the path prefix as INBOX rather than leaving it blank?

pwatson
Rising Star

Something to be added to the settings guide...
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ios-setup.shtml