Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New email address causing problems

FIXED
fred77
Rising Star

New email address causing problems

Hello,

My PN goes live tomorrow but I believe my new email, name@username.plus.com, is up and running.

I use WIN10 mail and added this email to set up a new account. I filled in the details to do this and am told by WIN 10 Mail that the account is setup. 

However, when I send a test email to it, i get a message "We couldn't access this account. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync this device." I have re-entered my PD password and looked at the account settings but can't find anything that to me looks wrong. In the advanced settings box the server /port numbers are there.

Has anyone any ideas what I may be doing wrong or have a solution. I need to get the email up and running properly as I want to use it with my domain name host, UK2Net, as a forwarding address for my normal email address using my domain name.

Many thanks

John

6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New email address causing problems

Hi John, have you entered relay.plus.net as the outgoing server when setting up W10 mail? That won't work until your broadband goes live. If this is the problem you could try entering your BT information for the outgoing server.

David
fred77
Rising Star

Hello David,

The settings currently read

Incoming email server  imap.plus.net:143:0

Outgoing(SMTP) email server   smtp.plus.net:587:0

Are you saying I should just put in "relay.plus.net" as the outgoing server without any of the figures and colons?

Many thanks,

John

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi John,

I've just checked W10 Mail settings. What should be entered as the incoming server is just imap.plus.net without a colon and port number. For outgoing (SMTP) server enter just relay.plus.net again without a colon and port number. After the server entry boxes there are four checkbox settings - the first two of these "Outgoing server requires authentication" and "Use the same username and password for sending email" need to be checked. The remaining two "Require SSL for incoming email" and "Require SSL for outgoing email" need to be unchecked.

However until your Plusnet broadband is activated you will not be able to send emails because authentication from non-Plusnet connections is not permitted. (This means sending the test email will probably fail.)

Although smtp.plus.net will, for the moment, work as sending server using relay.plus.net is recommended.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix
David,

Really being a pedant here...

It is not so much the connection is being attempted from a non-Plusnet connection, more that until the account is ACTIVATED (broadband is connected) access to Plusnet’s SMTP server is not permitted.

After activation AUTHENTICATED connects from off nerteork will be permitted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi John.

How's your e-mail service since your account activated? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fred77
Rising Star

It's fine thank you.

John