Did you mean: 

New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

@carafaraday wrote:

If I used imap would I be able to store the emails on the laptop rather than online? 

I think it's possible using certain IMAP clients, but if you depend on offline access a lot then POP3 may be the simpler alternative.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

carafaraday
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Huge thank you to you, Bob, for your patience.  I can now send and receive with my domain account. Took me a little while to get it right as I didn't realise that in advanced the SSL setting is on by default.

Thanks again.  Hopefully this will be of help to some other people who still have madasafish accounts.

JCornes1

Hi Bob

Should this solution (message 109 in this thread) work with secondary accounts? I have just spent nearly all day trying to get my wife's secondary account on my main account (i.e. myusername+herusername) to work on Windows 10 email on POP3. I am sure that I have tried every option and permutation going, but it just won't work. The best that I can get is an account which will receive but still won't send. It is currently set up with POP3, not IMAP, but I am sure that I have tried the solution that you posted, albeit with the secondary account/joint username, rather than a single username. I have pretty much reached the point of throwing the laptop out of the window. Any suggestions?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@JCornes1, yes it should, using the following settings:

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JCornes1

Thank you.
SteveR1

Sorry for bumping this thread, but it seems the best Windows 10 mail general topic and the one PlusNet support pointed me to when I was trying to set up. Feel free to divert to a new thread if you think it better.

I have 2 mobile devices collecting mail from the server via IMAP and a laptop, which isn't always on, and I usually download mail to this via POP3. This works perfectly for my requirements, but I've recently had to 'upgrade' my laptop to a new one running Windows 10.

I've set up the account as per the guide from @bobpullen and it works, thanks for doing that. The first time I did it outgoing emails didn't save to the sent items folder but I deleted that account and set it up again and that seems to work fine now. However, it doesn't appear to be deleting emails from the server at all - as in the emails are still there on my mobile devices as well as on the laptop. So, even though I specified POP3 on the setup it seems to be functioning as an IMAP type account and collecting emails from the server not downloading the emails to the laptop. To test this I sent myself a few emails. They appeared on the mobile devices then on the laptop. The mails remained on the mobile devices after they had appeared on the laptop (I waited half an hour and refreshed to make sure it wasn't just a sync issue), so I then deleted the messages via the laptop and lo and behold the messages were also deleted from the mobile devices.

Have I just missed an obvious setting or is this a set up or other problem? I really don't want hundreds of emails on the mobile devices and I sometimes have to trawl through messages I sent years ago for things so I don't want to delete them from the server.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi @SteveR1,

A warm welcome to the forums.

To be perfectly frank the in-built "Outlook" email program which ships with Win10 is not the smartest of products and operating in POP3 mode only adds to the complications.

I NEVER use POP3 for using it in conjunction with multiple devices simply causes multiple issues.  You have focussed on where received items are ... items sent from POP3 configured devices are only ever available on that device.  IMAP makes it all much simpler ... and in the case of your phones, he most recent emails are always at the top so in practice there is not really an issue.

Looking at the specifics you raised - I just set up a test account and connected the Win10 "outlook" email program to it using POP3...

• I "downloaded" an email in inbox - it remained in the in box (as seen by IMAP clients) which is not expected
  • I "deleted" it within Win10 Mail -  it remained in the in box (as seen by IMAP clients) which is not expected
  • I "deleted" it within Win10 Mail from the "Deleted Items" folder - it disappeared from the in box (as seen by IMAP clients) arguably logical but not expected
  • I sent an email from Win10 mail to the same mailbox - the sent item appears in the Win10 mail "sent Items" but not the sent items folder seen by IMAP clients (working as expected)
  • I "deleted" the above email via an IMAP client - Win10 mail retained the email as expected

If you can find it, you might want to look at reverting to WLM or OE - they were far better email clients.  Win10 Mail - in an attempt to keep things simple - have made the product little more than useless.

On the other hand Outlook 2016 (the proper product) is quite sound.  There are other email clients out there as well.. Thunderbird is popular but has its own set of prevalent bugs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveR1

Thanks @Townman. It seems that the Mail client is fairly useless for my purposes then. It doesn't appear to work nicely with subfolders either, which is essential for my purposes. I'm self employed and have loads of different folders to store things in to keep track of different emails for different clients, etc. It's a shame as it looks nice and clean, but I think eM Client will do what I want.