Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

Ok. That account was 'auto detected' when I 1st ran Win 10 Mail and for some reason I couldn't edit anything in the settings for it to make it right as the DONE button was always greyed out when I made any changes so as suggested a few posts above I deleted it and built my own and now it works ok.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My Windows 10 Mail app, which worked fine for a couple of weeks. now crashes/vanishes a few seconds after starting.  Be warned.
steveal
Grafter

I wonder why anyone is bothering with this new Mail programme.
If it is both worse and more difficult to set up that Live Mail - why bother?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: steveal
- why bother?

In my case I have a professional interest in being familiar with how well or badly it works.  As things stand, I would not recommend it to anybody who is not using a tablet and even then ...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I am now running the Windows 10 Mail app. on Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10547.  In this version you are asked to input both an email address and a user name when setting up an account and I have successfully set it up to receive my Plusnet emails via POP3; something that was not possible in the earlier version.   
StevePalmer
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
I am now running the Windows 10 Mail app. on Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10547.  In this version you are asked to input both an email address and a user name when setting up an account and I have successfully set it up to receive my Plusnet emails via POP3; something that was not possible in the earlier version.     

Hi Reed, would you be able to post up your settings as I have wrestled with windows 10 mail app for 3 days now (for a family member as I use outlook) and I cant get anything to work from these posts. The setup I am attempting is pop3 with a secondary mailbox ie mailboxname+username. I have tried putting in that to the user name field but I keep getting "your xxxx account settings are out of date". I have tried using the base mailbox and doing a manual sync and  just get "We didn't find anything to show here" (and I currently have lots in my account and have tried sending new emails to the account and still no success)  Windows 8 mail was bad enough but at least I got that to work. Windows 10 should be easy as others I know have succeeded but none are  on plusnet.
Many thanks
Steve
fidget
Hooked

I can't get Win 10 mail to work either with username or PlusNet hosted domain. Just get 'not synced yet', 'still working on it' or account settings out of date. Funny thing is that I got it working when I set it up at my Son's house but it had died when I got home. So does this need a PlusNet or Windows fix? A friend of mine also with PlusNet has the same problem
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: StevePalmer
Hi Reed, would you be able to post up your settings ...

Sorry but I am using a "preview" version of Windows 10 that is not yet on general release.  The settings you need for POP3 simply aren't available at the moment (last time I checked).  You'll have to wait until November, I believe. 
StevePalmer
Dabbler

Hi, apologies, when I read the reference to "preview" I didn't realise it was the preview for the new threshold 2 release of Win 10. The good news then is with the update (November time unless pushed back again as originally planned for October) we should be able to connect to plusnet via pop3 in the windows 10 mail app 🙂 Lets just hope MS don't change anything in the final production release! I also hope that the changes will support the alternate email user name that uses the secondaryemailname+primaryaccount user name construct.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ReedRichards
Hi Reed, would you be able to post up your settings ...

Sorry but I am using a "preview" version of Windows 10 that is not yet on general release.  The settings you need for POP3 simply aren't available at the moment (last time I checked).  You'll have to wait until November, I believe.  

I believe the latest build of the Mail app now allows you to specify the necessary settings.
I've just launched the application on my release channel copy of Window 10 and it looks like you can specify a username and email address separately now Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh, that's good news, Bob.  I haven't referred back to my standard build of Windows 10 for several weeks so I knew I might be behind the times.
StevePalmer
Dabbler

I have tried these setting for the past 2 days with no success. All I get is it saying "nothing to sync". I have also tried the secondarymailaddress+primaryaccount entry in the user name and all that does is return a "invalid details" warning from the mail app. So I was hoping that the preview version actually works (as Reed has tested it)  as the current version doesn't appear to. If someone else can try it and get it to work I would love to see the settings Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are you using POP3 Steve?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

StevePalmer
Dabbler

Hi Bob - Yes I am attempting pop3.- I did try the IMAP option suggested by yourself but still had the same problem. However, as I also have the same account linked to my phone and Outlook as pop3 I didn't know whether that affected it? I am not a great fan of IMAP for various reasons (which I wont go into as there are also many advantages of IMAP in principal when using multiple devices) but my main issue is sometimes they get out of sync and as one of them is my business account that's not a great position to be in. So I plug away with Pop3 as even though I have to "read" the same on each devices I don't ever lose anything. As I mentioned, I am actually testing this for other family members also on plusnet but I don't believe my particular set up should affect email retrieval? The other thing is that the family members (mum and Dad) both share the same email account with separate email boxes so I have to get the secondary+primary user name working. I have suggested to them an alternate email client but bless at their stage of life they don't favour another app to learn.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

. So I was hoping that the preview version actually works (as Reed has tested it) ...

Specifically I have tested it (it says it is version 17.6624.42271.0)  using POP3 and my primary Plusnet email address and it works for me.  I don't use a secondary address so I cannot test that.