cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

lowercase
Dabbler

New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

Has anyone go their plusnet email to work with the new Windows 10 email app?  I've looked on plusnet but it doesnt have instructions for win 10
Im struggling to get it setup Sad  Anyone else looked at it and got it to work?  What settings do I have to use.  Thanks
127 REPLIES 127
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

I've not got access to a Windows 10 machine at present but the settings you need should be no different to any other email client. Are you looking to set your email up using IMAP or POP3? What problems have you encountered whilst trying to set things up?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If Windows 10 mail client is the same as Windows 8 mail client, it doesn't do POP3, so you'll need to use IMAP or a 3rd party client.
I can't confirm this as my free Win 10 update is still in the queue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Jaggies
If Windows 10 mail client is the same as Windows 8 mail client, it doesn't do POP3, so you'll need to use IMAP or a 3rd party client.

Ah, good point.
Looks like the main settings the OP needs are in the penultimate image here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Bob,
A bit of a nit-pick - if using authenticated SMTP then the port ought to be 587 not 25, especially for connecting from outside the PN network.  Some network providers block connections on port 25 whilst allowing them on port 587.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Townman
A bit of a nit-pick - if using authenticated SMTP then the port ought to be 587 not 25, especially for connecting from outside the PN network.  Some network providers block connections on port 25 whilst allowing them on port 587.

Understood, but technically it can be either.
There's a good chance the article was written before we opened up the submission port.
We'll consider making changes when we get round to refreshing the email support content.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

lkj96

I've recently installed Windows 10 and can receive emails but not send them using the settings on the PlusNet site as shown in Bob Pullen's message. I've also tried the other port 587 with no luck.
As a side note there is no provision for adding ports, however by using "imap.plus.net:143" in the text box this works for receiving email but "smtp.plus.net:25 (or 587)" does not.
Any ideas?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  I've just started the new Mail app and it seems to have garbled the settings and will not let me change them.  SSL is set to on for both incoming and outgoing but the 'done' option remains greyed-out if I try to change them.  It been 'Still working on it ...' for the last 10 minutes of trying to get any messages.
By the way, I have not hitherto used 'My outgoing server requires authentication' (since 'Oldjim' on the forum pointed out that this was not necessary).  Is that really the preferred answer, Bob? 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi RR,
Authenticated is not essential when connected to PlusNet's network as you would be at home.  However if it's a mobile device which you use elsewhere, then SMTP must be authenticated to connect when not on the PlusNET network.
Setting it up properly with authentication (but not SSL) means it will work anywhere so long as the network provider does not block access to relay servers.  Note that many network operators block access to port 25 (usual port for unauthenticated connection) but not port 587 (the correct port for autheticated connections).
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Windows 10 mail client does POP and IMAP.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If I say 'Add account' I get asked for an email address and password.  I enter these and get told that the account cannot be found before I get the chance to enter any settings!!!
Strat
Community Veteran

I click 'Add Account' where I get a list of options under 'Choose an Account'.
I scroll down to Advanced Set-up.
Select 'Internet Mail' and fill in the details.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, Strat.  I had not spotted that I could scroll down to get another option that was not immediately visible - because the scroll bar is not visible until I move my mouse over it.  Style beats function, I guess.
Strat
Community Veteran

I know what you mean RR. I have black app icons in a black system tray area Roll_eyes
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, except I think if you look closely you will see it is not quite black but very slightly transparent.  I have not worked out if it is possible to change this.
I got my Windows 10 Mail app working, thanks to your help with locating the controls.