cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Webmail user

imbart
Dabbler

New Webmail user

This my second post  concerning my new use of  Plusnet Webmail. As explained in a very recent post of mine I can now approach my email through Outlook Express which I have always had on my XP computer (POP) and my new Webmail access on my Windows 10 (Edge) (IMAP)

I understand that all emails are kept in a central server and Outlook Express POP use passes the message to it where it can be deleted completely from the OLE and the server whereas Webmail IMAIL shows a "copy" and leaves the original message on the server. I have discovered so far that if I pass a test message it will appear in each but if I open it in Outlook Express and then delete it will not appear when I open Webmail and vice versa. Delete message in one and it also deletes  in the other.

If eventually I ditch Outlook Express and use Webmail alone - is there any means of clearing the Webmail cache?

Does the Webmail have any connection with Thunderbird which I see referred to in other Plusnet fprum posts ?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New Webmail user

@imbart 

Thunderbird is an alternative email client and can be used on your computers in place of Outlook Express.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

imbart
Dabbler

Thanks for that, Baldrick1. 

The reason I still have XP is because I have so much stuff on it - my email, and legacy programs especially correspondence and photography which were mainly free at the time and now cost an arm and a leg and of course a myriad of data some of which is in obsolete format for Windows 10. I was quite happy with the situation until Norton notified me that all their support for XP will cease on 28th February. There are still options for AV support on XP but my main computer is and has been Windows 10. Apart from email I very rarely use the Internet on XP and it is usually switched off   I shall probably disconnect XP from the Internet but still use the facilities offline as and when.

I am seeking a way to continue using my current email address and Plusnet Webmail seems to be the alternative to OLE as it is already there.  When this Covid situation is over I shall have a chance to  get personal assistance and try to sort it all out then.

Thanks again.

imbart
Dabbler

I've just noticed that I am restricted to 7 MB for an attachment in my Webmail.  Is that correct? It seems surprisingly low. I only found this out when I tried to send an 8 MB video via Webmail. Gmail gives me a 25MB limit and Outlook Express on my XP seems unlimited . Is there anyway of increasing the allowance on Webmail without too much hassle. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@imbart I doubt it - this is a server-side setting.

John
imbart
Dabbler

Thanks, jab1.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Email - whoever provides it - is not an appropriate vehicle for sharing large attachments.  Place the content to be shared in some shared storage space (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Docs...) and email a share link to the content.  It is far more proficient all round and will not clog up your mailbox.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.