cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User, setting up an email account

FIXED
Cazzuk2

New User, setting up an email account

Help please - just changed ISPs and joined Plusnet.  All set up and broadband working fine and all gadgets accepting wifi ok (although printer has intermittent issues - on the case for that!).  
Am a simple soul and non-techie so need to be lead gently on how to do things, but was delighted that I coped fine with the new set up.

But, for some reason when first signing up with Plusnet though I did create a user account for some reason I didn't create an email account for Plusnet, tho' I thought I had done.  No idea why this didn't happen at the time, but likely something I just didn't do that I should have done?!?

Not a problem I think, I will follow the instructions and create one via the new Plusnet account.  And from then on, no joy whatsoever.  No matter what I do I just can't seem to create an email accout/mailbox or whatever the terminology is.  Nothing, nada.

I log in and click on Email/then the Manage My Account screen comes up - I click on that and the Add New Mailbox screen comes up.  (Bearing in mind I did not and do not have an email or mailbox account so nothing there.)  Printscreens attached.
I create a new mailbox using some initials then my username, and unlike shown on the example (co.uk) I finish off  with plus.com;
e.g.  ZYQ@roundhouse.plus.com - but should it be something different like ZYQMailbox@username and should it finish off with co.uk as shown on the Plusnet Add screen.

I assume this is to be my email address .  There is nothing for me to click to finish off the setting up - just the ADD button but by clicking that it just reverts back to adding New Mailbox Name.  And having tried several times to set up an email account and/or mailbox nothing is showing on the Manage My Account nor can I log into Webmail to see if I have set up an account - likely because there isn't an webmail account there!

So afraid I am totally and utterly stuck and no idea how to set up a mailbox and use Plusnet Webmail. (Oh, in case you wonder at the moment am using an alternate email account in my initial communications with Plusnet.)

Any help from the Forum will be very welcomed.  Sorry to be such an idjit, but please go gentle with this newbie.  Many thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New User, setting up an email account

If your username is fredblogs then you can have any and every email address that you want in the format somebody@fredblogs.plus.com .  I cannot remember the process for setting-up new email addresses (too long ago) but all you should need to specify is the "somebody" part, the rest is a given.

acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There is no requirement to have a Plusnet email address. 

Have you thought about setting up an email account that is not connected to an ISP ? If you do so then there will be no need to change your email address whenever you change your ISP. Examples being Gmail (my preference) or Hotmail. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Cazzuk2

I log in and click on Email/then the Manage My Account screen comes up - I click on that and the Add New Mailbox screen comes up.  (Bearing in mind I did not and do not have an email or mailbox account so nothing there.) 

That sounds like your email account and default mailbox haven't been created, probably due to 

But, for some reason when first signing up with Plusnet though I did create a user account for some reason I didn't create an email account for Plusnet, tho' I thought I had done. 

Hopefully one of the PN staff will see this thread and check for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@acr wrote:

There is no requirement to have a Plusnet email address. 

Have you thought about setting up an email account that is not connected to an ISP ? If you do so then there will be no need to change your email address whenever you change your ISP.

This^.

ISP provided Email is an anachronism these days, and given Plusnets reliability issues WRT Email probably best avoided anyway...

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Hi there.

I've created these manually for you and if you head here you'll be able to make any changes

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Cazzuk2

Quite agree and do have other email accounts.  But just felt that being a Plusnet user now that I should have a webmail e-address.  Not vital I appreciate your words, thank you.

Cazzuk2

Regret can't use the Plusnet help - not connecting for some reason. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Can you try this link instead?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Cazzuk2

Many thanks, that's just great.

I tried a different tack as to my original query (in setting up the account in MS Outlook as I do have other email account/s), but now having a Plusnet account will be useful I am sure.

Thanks again, and to all concerned in the Community.

daddybear
Grafter

Hello Matthew

I am a new user (1 week) and I am having exactly the same problems as Cannuk2.

Can you help me out as well please?

Regards

Roy

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi Roy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same issue.

I've manually created the mailbox now - please allow at least 2 hours for this to take effect and then try this link which should take you to the "manage my mail" page and allow you to complete the email setup.

Please let us know if you experience any further issues with this.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
daddybear
Grafter

Hello Emily

Many thanks for your help.

I have successfully established an e-mail account which I can access through Web Mail. The only problem is I keep getting the box saying "Please complete your Sender Identity" and I am not sure what to put on the top line for my 'display name' to stop this happening.

I have not worked out how to access my default e-mail account - how would I do this?

I was told at application that my wife could have a Plusnet e-mail address too.  How should she do this?

Best regards

Roy

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @daddybear

When you set an email address up through your account, you have the option to set an address as default email address for the account. This would be where all notifications from ourselves would go.

On the same page, you are able to create a new email address for your wife, and she would log into the webmail by using Username+Wifesname as the user name and her password. For example if the user name was Dave, and the second mailbox set-up was named Susan, you would log in with the username Dave+Susan.

Where it asks for your Display Name, this is simply what is shown to people who receive your email. So if you put Roy here, then when someone receives and email from you, it will say Roy in their inbox so they know straight away who it is from without needing to open the email. Please let us know should you need any further help.

daddybear
Grafter

Hello Emily

Many thanks for your help.

I have successfully established an e-mail account which I can access through Web Mail. The only problem is I keep getting the box saying "Please complete your Sender Identity" and I am not sure what to put on the top line for my 'display name' to stop this happening.

I have not worked out how to access my default e-mail account - do I only do it through Web Mail as per the other one or is there another method?

I was told at application to Plusnet that my wife could have a Plusnet e-mail address too. How should she do this?

Best regards

Roy