Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet account - Webmail/Outlook 2003 problems

Davexxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

New Plusnet account - Webmail/Outlook 2003 problems

I can receive/send e-mail via BT addresses and Plusnet (Outlook 2003), but even after following various Plusnet e-mail/webmail guides and perusing related Community messages, I cannot setup a Plusnet e-mail address (me@username.plus.com).
1) Webmail - I cannot login to webmail via my Plusnet username/password (initially "ERROR Unknown user or password incorrect", but also "Login failed").
Plusnet chat have advised that the webmail username should be username+me, but that doesn't allow webmail login either.
2) Plusnet Assist - reports "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP)."
'telnet relay.plus.net 25' in Win7 VM mode (WinXP) reports: "Connecting To relay.plus.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25 : Connect failed"
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Dave.
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: New Plusnet account - Webmail/Outlook 2003 problems

Quote from: Davexxx
1) Webmail - I cannot login to webmail via my Plusnet username/password (initially "ERROR Unknown user or password incorrect", but also "Login failed").

Assuming I'm looking at the correct account, you don't have a Plusnet email address because you haven't created one yet. What do you see if you log in here?
2) Plusnet Assist - reports "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP)."
'telnet relay.plus.net 25' in Win7 VM mode (WinXP) reports: "Connecting To relay.plus.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25 : Connect failed"

Why are you using a VM? Can't you try telnetting natively from the Win 7 environment? Try connecting on port 587 as well as 25 and see if that makes a difference.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Davexxx
Rising Star

Bob - many thanks ...
"Assuming I'm looking at the correct account, you don't have a Plusnet email address because you haven't created one yet. What do you see if you log in here?"
A blank page (seriously), in Firefox, reloading doesn't help.
"Why are you using a VM? Can't you try telnetting natively from the Win 7 environment? ..."
Because Telnet Client wasn't enabled in Win7 (I now see, apologies), 'telnet relay.plus.net 25' now reports, which I presume is OK:
220 avasout06 smtp relay.plus.net
Dave.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does this address work? https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail/
May need to log into member centre first: https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Davexxx
Rising Star

"Does this address work? https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail/"
No, same result (FF blank web page) - same in IE11.
Dave.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nothing wrong with those links they are correct and work fine, possibly something amiss in your PC. What OS is it?
Davexxx
Rising Star

Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
Dave.
PS (4:50pm) "Does this address work? https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail/"
This now working (FF), takes me to Customer Login - but usual Plusnet username/password generate an error:
"Invalid username or password. Please try again."
Retrying sees same message.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

"Does this address work? https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail/"
No, same result (FF blank web page) - same in IE11.

Try again now Dave.
Worth bearing in mind that you'll probably have to wait overnight for DNS to propagate before thee address will start functioning properly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Davexxx
Rising Star

"... you'll probably have to wait overnight for DNS ..."
Working as I type !   Many thanks.
Dave.