cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PlusNet user - Can I set up email before migration is complete?

AJones
Grafter

New PlusNet user - Can I set up email before migration is complete?

I'm in the process of migrating to PlusNet from my current ISP.  I've been all signed up for a couple of days and the migration is underway but won't be complete for a few days yet.
Since I can already log into the members area of the PlusNet site with my new account details, I thought I'd try setting up a PlusNet email account so it would be ready to use as soon as I switch over.  However, if I go to http://email.plus.net (while logged in) I see:
"If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal
If you have recently joined PlusNet
It may take up to 30 minutes until you can access this feature of your account. Please try again later."
Does this just mean I'm being impatient and it won't work until the migration order is complete?  Or should it work already (as everything else in the members area seems to do) and something is wrong?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New PlusNet user - Can I set up email before migration is complete?

Not entirely sure but I don't think e-mail is created on sign-up if you specify a different contact e-mail address. You could try sending an e-mail from an external address to what will be your new Plusnet address - that sometimes forces the system to create the necessary records.
David
AJones
Grafter

I was given the option of creating a PlusNet email address during the online sign up process, but didn't do so as I figured I could set it up later.  I hope I haven't prevented myself from getting a PlusNet address?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No need for concern, you'll be able to have a Plusnet e-mail address even if Customer Services have to create it for you.
Have you tried sending a message from an existing address to chosen_name@yourusername.plus.com? That might well trigger the system to create the mailbox for you (within an hour or so).
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi AJones,
You'll need to log in to the portal and request to create an email address first - if you visit https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings then click on 'Manage my Mail' you'll be given the option to create an email address. If it's not working after a couple of hours then send an email address to it as spraxyt suggests and that should sort it for you.
Hope that helps,
AJones
Grafter

Thanks all for your responses.  It looks like I was just being impatient as it started working yesterday!  I've set up a couple of mailboxes and am testing them now, but so far everything is working fine.
I'm quite impressed with the mailbox options compared to the ISP I'm migrating from!