cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone - Samsung Galaxy Mini, cant get email programme to work

brooks6

New Phone - Samsung Galaxy Mini, cant get email programme to work

Just got new phone and I have tried all ways to access my email programme.  have put in my user name, password, POP3 mail.plus.net, port 110, no security and delete email from server when I delete from inbox..  Next window says 'setup could not finish, unable to connect to server. (OK)
I tried 'chat' to Orange and theyreferred me back to here, but an earlier page ( 2010)
tried IMAP and got same result

Pulling my hair out
9 REPLIES 9
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: New Phone - Samsung Galaxy Mini, cant get email programme to work

Welcome to the forum brooks6.
Two questions first of all:
1) Are you connecting via wifi or over mobile data networks?
2) What port did you try with the IMAP settings?
That's RPM to you!!
brooks6

I think it was mobile data (Orange) but not sure if I exist anymore!!  Cheesy  last port entered was 25, I have tried so many I dont know if I'm coming, going or been.. Think i might pack phone back in box and return, stick with the old one!! Shocked
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

It would be useful if you could describe the error you are receiving and the details of how you have configured the options.
For example:
Have you configured the email account as IMAP or POP3 ?
Can you receive email, but not send it?
Which PN servers (and ports) have you specified for incoming & outgoing mail?
Is SSL set or not?

The usual stumbling block for configuring email SENDING on a mobile device is obtaining access to the PN relay server.  (1) Conenctions to this server via another ISP's connection needs to be authenticated and (b) even with that done, some providers still inhibit access to 'alien' SMTP servers.  For example, I had no problem accessing PN's SMTP servers from my ORANGE iPhone until after the switch to EE coupled with lifting my 'under age' internet access barrier.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RPMozley
Pro

The problem they are having sounds not to be a sending issue Kevin, they haven't got that far into the setup.
@brooks6:
Can you confirm that you're actually connected to a wireless data network? Have you been able to set up any other email from a different provider?
That's RPM to you!!
brooks6

it doesnt seem I'm connected to a wireless data network, by that do you mean WiFi or just my Orange provider, even that didnt work until I rang Orange and they had to unlock the phone.  At least I can send/receive calls and texts now..  It all worked on my old phone - same sim card.  Wish I hadnt bothered to change, seriously thinking of sending it back
RPMozley
Pro

Well yes I was referring to the mobile data network. Hmm....  Undecided
If you can't connect to the net while on your mobile network (Orange) it's no wonder setting up the email can't complete (due to it being unable to contact the email server).
Can you try to setup the email while you're connected to your home wifi connection? Then if you can get that working ok we'll know it really is a problem with the mobile network setup.
That's RPM to you!!
brooks6

cant even connect to WiFi sitting next to the computer!!  have tried using the settings on my old phone, but that doesnt work either!  Put it back in the box, then got it out for another go  Undecided  This time i may just give up.  Either I'm a complete idiot (more likely!!) or there is a problem with the phone
brooks6

It's official, I'm a complete idiot  Cheesy  I found a troubleshooting guide on the orange website and found I hadnt checked one of the boxes to allow WiFi  (it wasnt obvious - I had checked the WiFi box, but it needed extra input elsewhere)  Thank you for your help, put it down to a senior moment (s)
RPMozley
Pro

OK, glad it's sorted for you.  Wink
That's RPM to you!!