cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC with Windows 10 - setting up a POP3

rogermhunt
Grafter

New PC with Windows 10 - setting up a POP3

In a few days, I'll be receiving a new PC configured with Windows 10. I'm trying to learn as much about Windows 10 as I can before the big day (I currently have Windows 7).
I have a Plusnet email address and so I will need to configure the settings on Windows 10 as a POP3 email account.
There's nothing I can find on Plusnet's website in relation to Email Guides for Windows 10, so I have the following questions if anyone's able to help out:
1. Will I need to tick the following boxes
    a) Outgoing server requires authentication
    b) Use the same password for sending email
    c) Require SSL for incoming mail
    d) Require SSL for outgoing mail
2. I would really like to copy the emails and contacts from my Windows 7 PC to the new Windows 10 PC when it arrives. From what I've been able to find out, this seems to be a complicated process. Does anyone have any guide or instruction on how I can do this?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New PC with Windows 10 - setting up a POP3

The basic settings are the same whichever operating system you use but the one piece of information we don't have is which email client you have on Win 7 and which one do you intend to use on Win 10
rogermhunt
Grafter

I'll be using the same email on the new Windows 10 as I was on the old Windows 7 PC. When I configured email for the old Windows 7 PC 3 years ago, there were no 'tick boxes' for thing like whether or not SSL was required . . . so I'm just not sure whether I need to tick all 4 boxes as outlined in my OP.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK
a - no
b - password not required for sending just for receiving
c - no
d - no
and if you can advise which email client you use we may be able to advise on migrating the emails
rogermhunt
Grafter

Ah ok, understood.
I currently using Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 PC. I want to be able to back up the emails (Inbox, Sent Items and Contacts) from that system and copy them into the Windows 10 PC email client.
From what I've read, there are conflicting articles about whether the email client in Windows 10 supports Windows Live Mail . . . . hence my concern.
rogermhunt
Grafter

Anyone able to help with question 2 in the OP please?
Thanks
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I dont know if this will help - but I have used Mozilla Thunderbird email client for years - and there is a way to get that  to download all emails off a server.
Then you can use MozBackup to backup all the emails to a file you can transfer over to the new PC. If you use Firefox it will also backup all Firefox bookmarks, passwords etc etc .

Oldjim
Resting Legend

While I have no experience of it I suggest that the first step is to export the data http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore
The problem comes with trying to install Windows Live Mail on Win 10 - sometimes it works but often it doesn't - so you may need to use the email app and that doesn't support import as far as I can tell so you may need to persevere in trying to get live mail to install
The only way  round it appears to be  via Outlook.com http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/import-desktop-app which essentially puts everything on MS Servers but as suggested above look at using Thunderbird
rogermhunt
Grafter

Thanks Mal08 and Oldjim !
I wouldn't be averse to using Outlook . . . . presumably that software is still part of Microsoft Office and I should at least be able to configure a POP3 email account in that for my Plusnet email address; is that correct?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Outlook as described isn't Outlook as in Office - it is Outlook.com
Having said that - if you have Office then using that version of Outlook is a much better bet
rogermhunt
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim . . . . . I have Office 2010 (I think I also have Office 2007 somewhere!).
That being the case, do you think there's any way I would be able to copy Inbox, Sent Items and Contacts from Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 to the equivalent Outlook folders on Windows 10, or would the files be totally incompatible?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes you can - having exported them from LiveMail just import them into Outlook
rogermhunt
Grafter

As my Windows Live Mail folders are on a different (Windows 7) PC and the relevant Outlook folders will be on the new (Windows 10) PC, what is the process for 'exporting' (or copying to an external hard drive) and what subfolders might I find the relevant files for Inbox, Sent and Contacts (I know i something like C: User/My Name/Appdata/Local etc . . . but just not sure exactly where from there (Sorry Oldjim, I'm just not that experienced!)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just copy the exported files as I explained earlier- you could also use a thumb drive
rogermhunt
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim . . . . . I'll give this a go on Monday/Tues when the new PC arrives  Smiley