Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC and Office 365 with Outlook, cannot set Free-online credentials to work

FIXED
BigK

New PC and Office 365 with Outlook, cannot set Free-online credentials to work

Hi,

Bought a new PC over the weekend, running Windows 10 and loaded Office 365 with Outlook.

I have tried to Add an Account and set the below credentials, but Outlook tries to connect to  Plus.net domain and even when correcting to Free-online.net, I still cannot connect and receive emails.

Username: Account username
Password: Email password

POP3 Incoming mail server: mail.free-online.net  
POP3 Incoming mail server port: 110

Or I have tried also...

IMAP server (if IMAP is used): imap.free-online.net  
IMAP server port: 143

SMTP Outgoing mail server: relay.free-online.net  
SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 587

SSL: Off for both incoming and outgoing

NO luck with the above, I would appreciate your expertise!

Thanks and Regards

BigK

8 REPLIES 8
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: New PC and Office 365 with Outlook, cannot set Free-online credentials to work

Hi @BigK,

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to send and receive emails via Outlook, I can confirm that all of the settings that you've entered are correct for a free-online account.

Please can you send me your email address via private message so that we can look into this further. Please comment on this post again once you've sent it, to ensure that this is picked back up . Please can you also confirm if you see an error message when trying to send emails?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
BigK

Re: New PC and Office 365 with Outlook, cannot set Free-online credentials to work

Hi Emily, PM sent.

I will fire up the affected PC and see if I get an error message.

What I do get is a message once I have set the pop3 / SMTP credentials,  that some went wrong when I confirm

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Is this Outlook 2016 installed on your PC?

The more recent versions do not give you direct access to all of the account settings. However if you use the mail configuration option in control panel you can access everything in the same way as used to be the method of configuring servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BigK

Hi, yes Outllook is installed and I presume it is the latest version, since it was downloaded from MS on Sunday.

Do have hints for the Account set up in Settings?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Hi @BigK

Thanks for the PM. Everything checks out fine from this side - no issues with the mailboxes or anything else apparent that would prevent you from setting this up in Outlook.

Just to confirm - does this mailbox still work via the webmail function and/or on another device?

The only thing that hasn't been suggested so far is to try port 25 for the outgoing SMTP rather than 587 - after that, it may be a case of digging down into the Outlook/Windows 10 settings to get this resolved.

Best wishes

Dave

BigK

Hi Emily,

Success!  Control Panel and account setting from there seemed so much easier, and its own test confirmed.  Emails comming in and managed to send to my Gmail account, but yet to receive a test email to my work account - that may be something elso though.

Many thanks for your help !!! 🙂

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Glad this is sorted, @BigK

Anything else you need, just drop us a line.

Take care

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@BigK 

What do you believed fixed this for you?  Using the Control panel Email program to configure the details or using port 25?

The latter would be worrying as port 587 is the correct port for email submission, not 25 which is for MX to MX email relay, though it does tend to work "within" the network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.