cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to increase font size permanently

NorthNanook

Need to increase font size permanently

Hi there,
I am a (so far) very happy new customer to Plus Net.  Finding my way around emails seems to have been quite easy. Except that both my husband and I find the font size the emails headers etc are displayed in are far too small: the lines re sender address/date etc.  I have looked and looked and cannot see how to ensure that they are permanently displayed in a larger size font. Can anyone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Need to increase font size permanently

Assuming that you are using webmail then the easy way is to press Ctrl and + key to increase the size of the text in the window
NorthNanook

Hello 'OldJim',
many thanks for this - it will save hours of squinting!  I had no idea it was so easy, so now I feel kind of silly - but thank you again.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Press Ctrl and the zero key to return things to normal.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you hadn't realised, you may find it useful to know those function keys will work on any web site - not just Plusnet's webmail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I didn't suggest it but I actually use the Ctrl key with the mouse scroll wheel to achieve the same result
colintivy
Rising Star

Perhaps I am hijacking this thread but I have a long term font size problem when I print an email, It is very small using HP Officejet 6100 and A4 paper. None of the above achieve anything!
Any other wise words?
Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

How are you sending it for printing
If you use the print via the browser it includes all the side panels and so the font will appear smaller if printed in A4 portrait
If you print via the cogwheel - print this message it doesn't
When you say the font is too small does the email when printed have loads of white space at the side
IanSn
Rising Star

Just read this thread and  tried the CTRL key and mouse scroll wheel in explorer windows.
Does some pretty groovy things to the contents of the window. Very handy! I never knew!!  Cheesy
gbhall
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
How are you sending it for printing
If you use the print via the browser it includes all the side panels and so the font will appear smaller if printed in A4 portrait
If you print via the cogwheel - print this message it doesn't
When you say the font is too small does the email when printed have loads of white space at the side

No, it does not  have space at the sides, and enlarging the text in a browser window as you describe has no effect whatever on the printout text size, although it looks much better onscreen. So as regards size when printed, you have not given an answer.  Do you have one ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You didn't answer Jim's question about how you are printing - directly via the browser or using "Print this message" from the cog wheel dropdown.
When I tried using the cogwheel it opened the message in a new window for printing. I cancelled the print and went in to the Firefox Print Preview and changed the scaling to 400% which resulted in letters about 1cm tall and two words per line  - surely that is big enough?
Quote from: gbhall
So as regards size when printed, you have not given an answer.  Do you have one ?

I'm not sure that's an appropriate tone to use to a fellow customer like you who is just trying to help you!
Edit: I've just tried doing the same in Internet Explorer and achieved the same result.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gbhall
Grafter

Apologies if I unintentionally appeared abrupt.  I can certainly feel abrupt when confronted with websites used by hundreds of thousands which are never updated to remove glaring faults or shortcomings.
I remember with distaste reporting a webmail error where after a period of time in which one is preparing an email response, the application suddenly refuses to send the email and refuses to save a draft also. There is no alternative to copying your text, restarting webmail and pasting and sending as quickly as possible.  On reporting this oh, a year or two ago, to plusnet techies, I was told 'use squirrel mail'.  So very helpful......
Actually, following your advice in this thread to use ctrl+ which enlarges the text and keeps it that way, but has no effect whatever on the printed size, I actually discovered myself by accident what you said about cancelling the printer selection, then right-click on the (suitably enlarged) screen version, which then DOES print larger.
So we can expect webmail to be updated to avoid the need for that work-around ?  Not holding my breath.....
brianex121
Grafter

I found this exchange of messages really helpful - it answered a question I'd had for a while but never asked.
Now I have an additional query abt webmail:- I used to be able to read my mails in order of delivery to the inbox, i.e. newest first
but lately, they seem to be limited to about 20 per page, so that sometimes I'm missing recent messages because
stupidly, I've forgotton to use the tiny, faint arrow at the bottom right of the screen, to scroll through to and display additional
pages.
Anyone know how to force the page to display, say 40 messages a time?  I'd be glad to hear how to revert to the
old system where they all showed up on the page...
Thank you.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@brianex121
If you read through the topic Mailbox incomplete on opening which you started, you will find replies in there which answer your questions. Once you make the change to number of messages per page you need to click the Save button to make the change permanent.
David
tywn-rodyn
Grafter

]Hi there,
I believe this should work for you, although I have no idea if this is permanent.
In Webmail click on Mail, then the gear looking icon below and then choose Edit as New.  See my attachment hopefully as it does not seem to attach.
Roll_eyes