cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change default email address, but...

IanSn
Rising Star

Need to change default email address, but...

tad confused.

Don't seem to be able to delete default address and use the other one. So decided to rename it.

Haven't done this yet because, going to my profile to change the PN contact address, I see my contact address is actually an 'outlook' address.

But I always get mails (bill notifications, etc.) from PN on the default PlusNet address, never this outlook one.

So, before I alter my default address I guess I need to tell PN that I have done so.

Any advice?

(Need to do this urgently as the default addy has been hacked and sending stuff in my name - including to me.)

5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Need to change default email address, but...

As you've discovered in Manage My Mail the default mailbox can't be deleted, just renamed. Only additional mailboxes can be deleted, but this also deletes any emails remaining in its Inbox.

Usually you will find that you also have a postmaster@ address, which is defined as an alias of your default mailbox. Monthly billing emails are normally sent to this postmaster@ address with a copy to your contact address (so you receive two copies). If you don't receive the copy are you sure the address is correct and works? Does the second address show as a CC address in the email you do receive?

If you rename the default mailbox I think anything within Manage My Mail (eg the postmaster@ alias) will follow the change. However your Email Contact Address wouldn't be changed. In your case since this isn't a Plusnet address it isn't affected, If you do want to change it you can do so using the Edit My Details dialogue, no need to contact Plusnet.

Do you have Catch All set to On or Off? Usually this points to your default mailbox. Changes might be needed.

David
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

It is likely that you have some malware on your computer which is sending email using your default address, in which case changing your default address will just change the address that the 'bot uses.

I would try running malwarebytes before changing addresses to see if this cures the problem

My other car isn't a Ferrari
IanSn
Rising Star

Trying to reply on mobile 4G here and getting DNS error ?
Will this one go?
(phone and BB went down couple of hours ago... obvs can't do anything at moment!)
IanSn
Rising Star

Did change it yesterday anyway... Be interesting to see if prob continues now.
IanSn
Rising Star

@spraxyt  BB fixed now so, Yes, ok, thanks! Actually i think the contact address got changed during the palaver I had getting back onto this forum when it changed to Lithium (Never did sort out why my own-domain address wouldn't work...)

Changed default addy and all seems ok. Catchall has never been set to anything as far as I remember so its probably off? I'll check in a minute.

@maranello  Never thought of that. This particular addy was only set-up on Mac. Ran Intego and didn't show anything. But new email address has received no junk so hopefully...

Actually, think this might have been related to a long forgotten account on MySpace which had this address. They were hacked recently and I got a warning from them out of the blue. (They are still going!!!?). It was a rarely used account - PlusNet notifications mostly.

Just moved over to new MacBook anyway. So this will be clean.

Just, incidentally, set up a new account with outlook. Couldn't make it work on Thunderbird (PC) or Windows Phone. Turns out POP is disabled for 'devices and apps' until you enable it. Took me hours to find that buried in the preferences somewhere. Microsoft, what are you on?