cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with FreeNetName email account

wrightflyer1903

Need help with FreeNetName email account

I've tried getting support for this through the online chat system but they could not resolve the issue so I wanted to email Plusnet for help but I find that's not possible so here goes...

Many years ago I registered with an ISP called www.freenetname.co.uk for a relatively small amount of money (at the time) they would give you your own .co.uk domain address for email. So they effectively gave me two accounts that were myusername@freenetname.co.uk and then also anything_I_like@mychosendomain.co.uk (I'm keeping this deliberately vague!).

That all worked fine and they operated a webmail service and also SMTP/IMAP (and POP3) servers. There was also a "control panel" so I could add/update usernames@mychosendomain.co.uk.

I use somename@mychosendomain.co.uk to operate my wife's email on her iPad. Most of the time that's all she needs though there were times when it would go a "bit wonky" which necessitated logging into webmail (the mychosendomain.co.uk address) to "clear the blockage" - usually because the 100MB mailbox had overflowed with ;large spam that needed to be deleted.

After a few years FreeNetName were "gobbled up" by madasafish.com who then continued to operate a very similar service. They operated webmail (though now on a www.madasafish.com not www.freenetname.co.uk site) and that webmail, just as before would allow me to log in as either the "host user" account (myusername@freenetname.co.uk) or as one of the "child" accounts (anyname@mychosendomain.co.uk). There continued to be a "maintenance" link where changes could be made to create mailboxes under @mychosendomain.co.uk).

This all continued to work so well that for probably a year or two it was never really necessary to access via webmail so all the traffic was simply by IMAP (and SMTP) from the iPad on the wifesname@mychosendomainname.co.uk).

Then towards the end of last year my wife noticed that would be days when no email was received so I went along to madasafish.com to log into the webmail to find out what was going on (the child account not the master). But I found a link there saying "madasafish have been swallowed whole by Plus.net).

The link on their site actually redirects to the wrong place but with SOME help from Plus Net online chat I found the login for webmail and the fact that in the drop list for choosing "service" there is a "Free Name" entry there. Using this I *can* log in to the "parent account" (original_issued_name@freenetname.co.uk) but that's a fairly dormant mailbox - in fact it's just accumulated invoice PDFs from many years of using FreeNetName.

What I cannot do and the reason for this post (because online chat couldn't seem to help me) is to log into mywifesname@mychosendomain.co.uk - it's like the webmail only has lists of the parents but not the children so how on earth can I get her day to day email service "unblocked". Also what has happened to the "maintenance tools" that FreeNetname and then MadAsAFish used to provide where you could do things like changing/creating the child accounts.

While it's interesting to read outdated old emails to parent@freenetname.co.uk this does not resolve the fact that my wife is extremely close to killing me because I cannot sort out her daily email delivery on the child@mychosendomain.co.uk account.

Please try to stop a murder being committed if you can!!!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Need help with FreeNetName email account

The maintenance options are available after logging into the www.madasafish.com website (using myusename@freenetname.co.uk and relevant password). If I recall correctly, it's under Internet > Manage additional mailboxes. The additional mailboxes can have different passwords so that's the first thing I'd suggest you look into.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wrightflyer1903

Re: Need help with FreeNetName email account

That's helpful and by some complete mystery when I tried to log into the webmail today using child@mychosendomain.co.uk it actually worked for the very first time - so either there's a huge coincidence at play here or someone just pressed the right button to grant access to child accounts 😉