cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help recovering emails deleted after cancelling new order within 14-days cooling off period

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help recovering emails deleted after cancelling new order within 14-days cooling off period

Hi,

I recently cancelled a new order I made with Plusnet (about a week or two ago) because I had a change of mind and wanted to try a different broadband supplier.

I made the cancellation over the phone, but unfortunately didn't take into account that all my account details would be deleted straight away after the phone-call ended. Including all the emails I had just moved from my previous BT email account to my new Plusnet address.

So, after I went back into my email program, I couldn't retrieve my Plusnet emails and, unfortunately, I hadn't checked the option to backup these emails for offline use. So, it looks like I've lost all the emails I migrated from my BT account.

I'm just wondering if there's any way to retrieve these lost emails - can a member of Plusnet staff help me in this regard? My short-lived Plusnet email address was 

[Removed]

Any help appreciated, Paul

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): email address removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

16 REPLIES 16
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Need help recovering emails deleted after cancelling new order within 14-days cooling off period

Paul, I have no idea if Plusnet can make an arrangement for you to be able to gain access to your closed email account, but I hope one of the Plusnet forum staff pick this up for you in the morning.

My reason for replying is to advise you to edit your post as it's never a good idea to give out an email address on an open forum. I'd hate to think they allow you access for you to then be swamped with spam emails. It would only increase the time you need to move the ones you need back (more so if any get marked as sent from either Plusnet or BT).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help recovering emails deleted after cancelling new order within 14-days cooling off period

@DS - Many thanks re: hiding my Plusnet email - I'm just glad you were up around the same time as me last night.

Hopefully, as you say, a member of staff can help me one way or the other, this morning.
DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem Smiley

It's just a case of waiting now. If there's no response in say 24 hours, post again and we'll go from there Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS - Thought I would bump this thread one last time - I'm slowly becoming resigned to the fact that my emails might be unrecoverable. Luckily, I just used the email account for bills and nothing really important, but it would be good if I could access those emails again.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Here, have another bump - though it doesn't seem to help - it's how the forums are set out and how PN staff have their notifications set up. It will place your topic at the top of the Recent Posts Page (I only use this method) and possibly at the top of the Email page.

I was going to try nudging your thread by using the @<insert name here> method but when I've tried it with a PN staff member it doesn't seem to work either, or simply the see the notification, yet ignore my comments - hey ho.

I can only suggest trying to call them and see if they can put you through to a email technical department but I've no idea if one exists at PN Towers!!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid that as the account has been closed and the mailboxes removed from the system we wouldn't be able to restore this.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DS
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous It looks like they may be gone then Sad

Although, did you just forward them from your BT email account?

If you did, then BT's policy used to be that the email account would remain active for 90 days after leaving, so you might be able to obtain them that way instead.

(the 90 days may have changed, but shh, don't shout it out, but somebody on this thread was able to check their old BT emails for 2 yes 2 years after leaving via thunderbird....)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Anonymous Not sure if this will work for you.... but it could be worth a try....

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-Transfer-your-old-emails-to-a-new-install-on-Thunderbird/m-p/1410652#U1410652

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris Thanks for your reply - I suppose I could see this as a way of starting afresh in this email account. And next time I won't be so hasty to move my emails to my new ISP Smiley

@DS - I moved them across from BT to the Plusnet email account using Postbox - my email program. So, the emails are no longer in my BT email account, even though I still have access to my BT services.

@shutter - That looks promising. The emails were accessible from the deleted Plusnet account in my email program, but when I clicked on them, it tried to load the contents from the deleted account (I think only the headers had been saved). And, unfortunately, I hadn't ticked the option to store the emails for offline use. I still have backups of the BT emails on my cloud backup provider (through backing up Postbox's config files) - though, again, I think only the headers will have been saved but I I think I'll take another look.

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread. As I said earlier, I don't think any important emails were lost, so I'll try and learn from this, the next time I move to a new ISP Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous I presume that you are referring to those emails on your Plusnet Webmail account...  If you have your emails sent to you via Thunderbird ( as well)  i.e. use your own computer to view those emails, without logging into webmail, then they "could/should" be able to be retrieved using my tutorial... you can retrieve them to a USB stick... and then reload them into your current thunderbird email client.. no matter who your internet provider was before..  df

The tutorial will only work for Thunderbird... if the emails had been downloaded and read on Thunderbird.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - Postbox is built on Thunderbird code, so that's why I was hoping your advice would also work with this email client. I suppose the best thing would be to have a tinker myself - thanks for your help.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous ok... so you can use the "route" that I took, and follow it through,... you may be able to find that elusive location where the emails are stored when they get downloaded on to your computer..

good luck.. Wink

DS
Seasoned Champion

pbwoody wrote: (snipped) starting afresh

That's exactly what I did Smiley

I left the ones of no use or spam (the latter were sent by some ebay sellers whom after I made purchases, the seller wants you to buy direct from them) with BT and told those that were important my new (not tied into an isp) email address.

shutter
Community Veteran

So,   are you saying you have got your Plusnet emails back again, then ?  and "job done"   ? ? ?