cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help - to retain email

Gothnode

Need Help - to retain email

This is not a rant or a whinge, but an appeal for advice and support. I have been a Plus-net customer for twelve years now, I never dropped using their broadband and email service during that time.

Having just moved house a day ago,m for the first time, my wife has taken the opportunity to consolidate many digital services to one provider - which is not Plusnet in order to maximise value for our money.

I need to retain my email address as it has been used by me for 12 years now and it has been provided to hundreds of service providers, retailers, insurance companies etc.

I phoned Plusnet and asked if I can retain my email. I offered to continue paying my subscription cost at the current price in order to retain my personal email and have been told this is possible for some customers, but not others. After being put on hold for a long while, I was told by the operator that I will loose my email as soon as my broadband supply from Plusnet ends. This is inevitable as the people who have bought my old house will no doubt set up their own internet shortly with a provider of their choice.

I was told that the ONLY way to retain my email is to take Plusnet Broadband service with me to my new house?

Any advice or guidance please???
6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Need Help - to retain email

@Gothnode Welcome to the forums. Sometimes advisors get this wrong if they haven't been here long, and this type of request is a bit rare, so not everyone knows the procedure.

A few questions for you though - Are you a PLUSNET customer with a PN email address, or one of the legacy providers, like Force9? Has your service been totally stopped (when?) and have you received your final bill?

If your account has not been totally closed, it MAY be possible to convert the email component to a FREE service, but ideally you should have requested this as soon as you chose your new supplier.

John
Gothnode

Thank you for your prompt reply to my rather desperate post last night!

I originally signed up with Plusnet, my email ends is this format.

Aname@username.plus.com

It is still working currently as I chose NOT to cancel my subscription straight away.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK. In that case, before you decide to cancel, call them up and request an 'email-only' account following closure.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@JonoH 

@Gothnode wrote:

I need to retain my email address as it has been used by me for 12 years now and it has been provided to hundreds of service providers, retailers, insurance companies etc.

I phoned Plusnet and asked if I can retain my email. I offered to continue paying my subscription cost at the current price in order to retain my personal email and have been told this is possible for some customers, but not others. After being put on hold for a long while, I was told by the operator that I will loose my email as soon as my broadband supply from Plusnet ends.

The wrong advice for this space keeps being churned out - can you please send feedback?  Note that the OP has advised that this is not a legacy email service, but current @myaccount.plus.net

@Gothnode 

This should help you get this sorted...

Email only accounts

When your account is cancelled, any additional services you have such as email, web-space, cgi-service, etc. will stop working. If you want to retain your email service after your account is closed, you must advise Plusnet before the account is closed. There used to be a charge for email only accounts, but they are now free of charge.

Resurrecting an account as email only requires manual intervention from both yourself and Plusnet. The initial stage in account resurrection gets the default email address restored. You then need to setup any secondary Plusnet email address(es) yourself, at which point you'll be able to once again send and receive emails from those addresses.

If you have secondary email address(es), after you have recreated those email addresses, you will need to ask that their contents are restored by updating the existing thread or try posting on the generic email restore topic. Please note that these backups are kept for 30 days only.

The process should go something like this...

1. Prior to your account being closed, you must tell Plusnet that after your account is closed you wish to retain the account as email only - contact the Customer Options Team - agents receive few requests for this, so if there are any doubts refer the agent to KBMS article #3349
  2. You need to make a note of all of your Plusnet email address(es) by going to manage my mail at https://plus.net/email
  3. Your account is terminated
  4. Plusnet resurrect the account as email only
  5. Plusnet will restore the default mailbox - you might need to change the name before the @ symbol to what you had before
  6. You recreate any secondary email address(es) and then request that their contents are restored
  7. Plusnet restore the secondary mailbox(es) content

Everything should then work as it did previously, however please note that emails sent to the email address(es) between the account being closed and the email addresses being recreated might...

1. Be returned to the sender as un-routable (no such domain)
  2. Be returned to the sender as undelivered (no such addressee)
  3. All be delivered to the default mailbox if catch-all is enabled

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Gothnode

Yeah there appears to have been some miscommunication here. The only instance where we wouldn't be able top restore an account as Mail Only is if we were not aware of this prior to the account being closed.

As your account remains open at the moment, it's be something we can do. Please feel free to send me a Private Message with the names of the inboxes that you'd like us to restore after the account is closed, and I'll pop a note on the account for this to get picked up Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the private message @Gothnode 

I've picked this up on Adam's behalf. I'm sorry for the advice you've been given over the phone about keeping your emails.

We'd need to close your account first then reactivate your account to a free mail one. This will basically make sure we don't bill you for broadband while providing just your email service.

Once that's done, you'd then have to resetup your email addresses, redirects etc by going to manage my mail Here.

This will automatically restore any mail that was deleted from your primary email address at the point your account was cancelled. For secondary email addresses, we'll finally need to restore them manually.

In the meantime between the account closing and the email address being recreated, you won't be able to send or receive mail. This downtime period generally isn't long at all, normally 1 to 3 working days.

If you can reply to the ticket I've created on your account Here with confirmation of the date you'd be happy for us to close your account on and cease your broadband, I'll get the ball rolling for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet