cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Names of mailboxes

Ethel
Hooked

Names of mailboxes

I'm confused and would like anyone who can clear my fog to do so! My default mailbox shows up as "(wife's name)@username.plus.com" when I look on "my mailboxes".

I also have  "(myname)@username.plus.com" and "test@username.plus.com". The last appeared as part of the unarchiving process- below.

When I go into webmail (to try to check on mailbox size) I can't find this "wifesname" mailbox at all, instead apart from "myname@username etc"  I can only find "username@username.plus.com."

The disparity occurred when we (wife and I) jointly went over the size limit, and my wife's emails were archived. When Plus unarchived the posts, they went into the username@username box, which until then (as far as we know) didn't exist.

Does anyone know how we can pull things back together for consistency, please?  Right now I have no idea what usage we've occupied. 

We're using Thunderbird as mail client, and AFAICS I've moved everything prior to 2020 into local folders (at least that's what I tried to do). 

TIA!

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Names of mailboxes

You say wifesname is the DEFAULT mail address, is it the same as username?

How are you defining DEFAULT? Are you inferring that’s the CATCHALL mail box?

Secondary mailboxes are accessed as username+mailboxname

Does that help any?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ethel
Hooked

Thanks for reply. I'm NOT actually defining anything as  "default. ". When I go to "My mailboxes", it's THAT which tells me "default"- see attached extract, in which no 1 is "wife's name@username.plus.com", as you'll see it's shown as default.

When I go to webmail, the only two mailboxes I can see are "username@username.plus.com", and "myname@username.plus.com."

If the webmail "username@username etc" IS the default catchall, then why  doesn't that show up in the "my mailboxes" view?

Sorry to be unclear!

Ethel
Hooked

In case this helps (see the attached)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Ethel Try entering the missing mailbox on the 'welcome to Webmail' start page - if it doesn't exist at the moment, that should create it.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 

I might be getting confused by that comment - surely you do not mean this page - https://webmail.plus.net/ - that will not create a mailbox which does not exist.  The only way to create a new email address is via the account user portal.

@Ethel 

"When I go into webmail (to try to check on mailbox size) I can't find this "wifesname" mailbox at all, instead apart from "myname@username etc"  I can only find "username@username.plus.com." "

The DEFAULT mailbox is the one which is accessed when in email programs and webmail "username" is used as the account name.  The Email address can be set to anything_you_want@username.plus.com

The DEFAULT mailbox is the only mailbox you can rename

The DEFAULT mailbox is the one to which any_mail_address_not_a_named_address@username.plus.com will be sent if CATCHALL is enabled

For all other_name mailbox addresses (that is on which is not an alias or redirect) you logon to that mailbox in webmail with the user ID username+other_name - and use that in other email programs for the server user name.

Does that help you?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman looking at the picture in the pdf in message #4, unless I'm losing it, it shows 'wife' 'me' 'postmaster' and 'test' as existing mailboxes with 'wife' set as the default.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 

Hi John,

Indeed the attachment on post #4 is the "Manage My Mail" page in the user portal ... not "the 'welcome to Webmail' start page" which you suggested "if it doesn't exist at the moment, that should create it.".

jab1
Legend

@Townman Sorry, bad phrasing. I was under the impression from reading previous posts that 'wifesname' existed in the Manage my Mail section, but not in webmail, in which case, from what I remember when I created an extra mailbox, I had to enter the 'username+mailboxname' and related password on the 'Welcome to webmail' screen before the mailbox would appear in webmail.

John
Ethel
Hooked

Thanks: there's a paradigm shift going on in my head. As I understand (now!) it's not that the default is called "default@username.plus.com", but rather that there IS a default box, call it what you like. So the fact that it's called none thing in webmail and something else in the "Thunderbird" view is a matter of existential interest, but not really important.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"So the fact that it's called none thing in webmail and something else in the "Thunderbird" view"

----------------------------------

Ah - that is a completely different matter!

Do not confuse what an email program uses for a mailbox name and the mailbox's DISPLAY name.

Also do not confuse the USERNAME for accessing the server and the email address.

The USERNAME (account name or accountname+mailbox_name) determines which mailbox you connect to and to which emails are addressed.

Consider a DEFAULT mailbox username@username.plus.net

To access that in webmail you only need to supply username and the account password.

In the Webmail identity you can use the display name "My Wife" (or anything else).

You could also give this emailbox an ALIAS of wife@ so that anything sent to wife@ gets delivered to username@ (the default mailbox) ... or indeed you could just rename it to "wife".