Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO Spam getting trapped!

casman1
Dabbler

NO Spam getting trapped!

Hi

Been with plusnet many many years, never had issues with spam, the last month or so i am getting hundreds of spam emails per day!

I have disabled my spam filter and reset it to force the settings,i am on level 5 and still they are all getting through.

i have noticed the [spam] addition to the subject lines is not getting added anymore either.

all the emails come from (*.US ) domain, which allows me to filter them out in outlook but they are flooding to my tablet and cannot stop them.

I have phoned up but tech support say all is OK with my settings! ,clearly something has changed but cannot seem to fix it? 

any suggestions?

Regards

Andy

31 REPLIES 31
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: NO Spam getting trapped!

Welcome to the forums. Smiley

I think this needs to be looked into by a staff member able to follow through what happens with your emails.

Hopefully one will be along before long to advise.

David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Andy, have you tried adding the domain to the blocked addresses list on our spam filter too?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

There does seem to be a lot of weight control medication stuff being sent out on spoofed email addresses floating around at the moment.

I am not seeing this marked as spam either.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

casman1
Dabbler

Hi

Thanks for replys

the problem with adding the address to blocked is they are all random non the same so impossible to do.

No wildcards allowed so cannot simply add ".us" which would essentially cut out the spam.

There is definitely an issue with the system as i do not get ANY marked as "spam" Any more.

Andy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi Andy,

The problem here is the that the emails are bypassing the spam filters, e.g:

Return-path: <Senior.HR.Representative@rotten.workingfromhomeask.us>
Envelope-to: [REDACTED]@[REDACTED].plus.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:54:35 +0100
Received: from [45.59.120.27] (helo=rotten.workingfromhomeask.us)
	  by inmx16.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1dVHA2-00075e-S3 
	  for [REDACTED]@[REDACTED].plus.com; Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:54:35 +0100
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 05:52:50 -0700
From: Senior.HR.Representative <Senior.HR.Representative@rotten.workingfromhomeask.us>
To: <[REDACTED]@[REDACTED].plus.com>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <91187661000676-d91374ab1a39bc9f6eb9a1bbd0db3592@rotten.workingfromhomeask.us_4oc>
Content-Type: text/plain
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
Subject: Earn up to $793/day online by hosting a website that we set up for you. No Experience Needed. (Inquire Inside)

Note that the emails are going straight to inmx16.plus.net? They should be going to an avasin server, not an inmx server.

When you have spam filtering enabled, senders' attempts to bypass the spam filters should result in this:

250-inmx18.plus.net Hello core [84.93.219.165]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
mail from:<>
250 OK
rcpt to:<[REDACTED]@[REDACTED].plus.com>
451-Plusnet: Please route email according to MX record
451 ([REDACTED].plus.com/84.93.219.165)

This isn't happening in your case though:

220 mx.core.plus.net ESMTP Exim Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:01:31 +0100
ehlo core
250-inmx10.plus.net Hello core [84.93.219.165]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
mail from:<>
250 OK
rcpt to:<[REDACTED]@[REDACTED].plus.com>
250 Accepted

I've a suspicion it's a side effect of a discrepancy between the back-end mail database and the Manage My Mail interface. I've asked our engineers to take a look for you (ref: 153521293).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Townman wrote:
There does seem to be a lot of weight control medication stuff being sent out on spoofed email addresses floating around at the moment.

I'm getting quite a lot of this, the majority being marked as spam and diverted to the Junk folder.

The odd one or two daily slip through the filter, get marked as spam and end up in my Inbox.

One or two of my regular marketing emails from the likes of Machine Mart and Strings Direct get grabbed by the spam filter, marked as Spam and placed in the Junk folder.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Strat wrote:

I'm getting quite a lot of this, the majority being marked as spam and diverted to the Junk folder.

The odd one or two daily slip through the filter, get marked as spam and end up in my Inbox.

I think you'll find those which go into Inbox are not seen as "spammy" enough. If you check their headers you'll probably find they are classified as Level 4 or 5 spam. Your aggressiveness setting is probably only Level 1 or 2 so anything higher is allowed through. It's a moot point whether in this situation [-SPAM-] tagging should be added, though I'm happy with that.

If you change your aggressiveness setting to 5 anything judged slightly spammy should go into the Spam folder.

David
casman1
Dabbler

Hi

again thanks for all help here!

I have aggressive set to 5 always, still everything passes through and nothing marked as "Spam".

Andy

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry @casman1, my reply was directed to Strat's observation rather than your problem.

Bob's reply #6 explains the cause of the problem you are seeing - the spammers are bypassing the spam checker. This route should be blocked but an inconsistent setting in the database is allowing messages through. A networks engineer has been asked to investigate and fix the problem.

David
casman1
Dabbler

Hi

Any update on this?

the spam was much less yesterday down to just 4

But still nothing is marked {spam} and also find some obvious spam getting through? its hard to believe the following address could get through filters?

SexyLatinSingles <SexyLatinSingles@chatlatinagirlstarted.us>

thanks

andy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll give things a nudge for you. Doesn't look like the ticket's been picked up yet.

Edit: Seems the account is in quite a pickle, so we'll need to do some fiddling with the back-end databases/storage systems. That's going to take a day or two at least as it needs to go through our change control process (ref: 143717). I'll let you know once the work is complete.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Andy,

I think this might be fixed now. Can you keep an eye on it and shout up if that's not the case?

PS. You may have received an email notice about the creation of a new alias. You can safely ignore it if you have.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

casman1
Dabbler

Hi Bob

Thanks a lot for your help will give it a few days and let you know how its going

Cheers

Andy

missy2210

ive got the same problem 52 spam emails from .us in 3 days its driving me mad