cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My email account used for unsolicited email???

kippers
Dabbler

My email account used for unsolicited email???

Hi
Just received an email from PlusNet (77585950) saying
It has come to our attention that a source of unsolicited email has been linked to your account with us. This could have one of several possible causes, including those in the following list:
- You are running an insecure SMTP relay or proxy software
- Your PC is infected by an email virus, worm or trojan
- You have a web server with an insecure Formmail script
- You are yourself sending unsolicited email
This is news to me, only use my Plus net email address to contact PlusNet and visversa.
Anyone any ideas what might be going on.
Have checked webmail and other than half a dozen Microsoft outlook test messages and 3 or 4 from Plus net there is nothing there.
8 REPLIES 8
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: My email account used for unsolicited email???

It sounds like this email is more about your connection or username/password is sending spam emails not receiving them.  There are 2 ways of sending emails through the Plusnet servers (which I think this is talking about).
1) Anonomously (ie without a username and password), but this can only be done from a Plusnet connection, which would be how they would know any spam is from your account.  This could be a virus or such like on one of your computers.
2) Authentication (ie with your username and password), which could be done from any connection (which isn't blocking the required ports)
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

Double check any machines you are using on your network with antivirus and Malwarebytes etc.
It could by you have a bit of naughty software on your PC which is allowing spammers to use it for sending out spam emails.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ask Plus Net to send you some headers to aid your diagnosis...
kippers
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for your responses, The only things connected to my line are a windows home server, (which I have powered down to eliminate it). A desk top which has been out of commission while I rebuilt it, just brought back on line a couple of days ago, and a couple of ipads and an iphone.
I have asked Plus net for more info, as it is I don't know where to start or even monitor my line. I have checked there are no unknown devices attached to the wireless.
Thanks
Steve
picbits
Rising Star

You may well find someone has hacked your WHS and is using it to relay junk email.
I've not had any experience with Windows home server though so can't tell you what to check but I'd still run a virus and malware check on it (if possible).
Having said that, a malicious SMTP application can reside on just about any device so it is worth double checking everything that uses your network. It is possible to watch traffic on the network via various sniffers but that is beyond the capabilities of most home users.
kippers
Dabbler

My WHS is off now, so is wife's ipad, (I'll be in bother when she comes in).
On the TBB graph below is what my line went like yesterday around 10.30am, not sure if that is relevant but it is usually quiet other than the spike now and again from the samknows box.

kippers
Dabbler

Hi All
Thanks for your advice.
Have spoken with Plusnet (when I rang their system said 30m wait, I put the phone on loudspeaker so I could get on with something else, and before I could put the phone down they answered. About a min wait).
It appears it was an outlook test message that triggered an over zealous AOL spam setting (I have historic AOL email accounts) and nothing really to worry about. Passwords been changed though just in case.
Thanks again guys
Steve
picbits
Rising Star

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
Good to know it was nothing sinister  Grin