cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple email problems

davidcoxell
Hooked

Multiple email problems

I've just had a month of grief following multiple email problems.

About a month ago all outgoing traffic on my globalnet.co.uk account ceased. With the help of a local computer repair man I got this fixed, and eventually restored full service to my Mac, my iPhone, and my wife's iPad and iPhone. 

Then two days ago, all my emails stopped – incoming and outgoing. When I phoned PlusNet, it turned out that the cheque I sent two weeks ago was still awaiting clearance, and the account had been frozen. But she said normal service would be restored within thirty seconds. Suddenly the emails started coming in again and all seemed well.

However, when I tried to send from my Mac, no go. Diagnostics don't flag anything up in the Mail client, in that everything seems to be connecting, but I'm getting a 'relay denied' error message.

SMTP settings are:

outgoing server: mail.globalnet.co.uk 

port: 110

password authentication on

allow insecure authentication

Hope you can help. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Multiple email problems

That port number is for POP3 incoming mail. For SMTP outgoing mail the port number needs to be 587 (25 should also work).

David
davidcoxell
Hooked

No go with port 587 or 25.

I'll try a power-down again.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Is your mac running OS High Sierra? I've a feeling that Apple Mail doesn't allow non-SSL sending even if the option to allow it is selected. Other posts on this board have covered this - I'll see if I can find an example.

Edit: I've inserted Apple Mail in my original response. As an example topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/IMAP-works-on-some-devices-not-other-with-exact-same-settings/m-... includes discussion of this. Though IMAP was being used there behaviour with POP3 on port 110 should be similar.

David
davidcoxell
Hooked

No – I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6

I'll check your link.

Many thanks.

davidcoxell
Hooked

This is looking a bit complicated for a Mac user...

BTW the Connection Doctor says that both SMTP and POP connections are ok.

Most annoying is that it worked ok before, and I'm thinking there may be a problem offsite?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Connection Doctor possibly says "no problem" because that is the case. The problem is probably with authentication which follows successful connection.

Please could you confirm that collection of emails using POP3 works OK so it is just sending which is the problem? Does Apple Mail allow sending without authentication, which should work from a Plusnet connection?

To bypass Apple Mail manual sending from a command prompt can be tried but authentication is tricky because the username and password strings have to be Base64 encoded; are you familiar with that term?

David
davidcoxell
Hooked

Well I think I've cracked it now thanks.

Went into Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) > Edit SMTP Server List > Advanced

and then selected Password Authentication, Allow insecure authentication, and re-entered User Name and Password there, as opposed to elsewhere.

I can now send and receive on the Mac. The only thing I can't do is send a test email to myself on the Mac or iPhone. But hey, at least I'm in contact with the outside world again, and they can talk to me! 

Thanks for your help.

David.