cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple copies of email

henburywood

Multiple copies of email

Can anyone help me stop getting multiple copies of emails? I don't get them for every email, but today, for instance, I have had 2, 3, 4 or 5 repeats from a seemingly random selection of senders. (The 5 was from PlusNet.) This has been happening for quite a long time and not only is it time consuming to delete them, it can be confusing as to which I have read and which I have not.

11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Multiple copies of email

Sorry to hear that about the issues your having.

If you can PM me a screenshot showing this we can look into this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
henburywood

Here is a screenshot from yesterday. It is fairly typical:

Screenshot (3).png

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Matthew, Sorry about this, we recently had some social media issues that caused multiple messages to be sent, the issue has ( to the best of my knowledge ) been resolved, please accept my apologies for this. If you are getting the same issue with other emails then I suggest checking your email settings just to be sure. - Tony

henburywood

What settings should I be looking at? As you will see from the screenshot I have 4 duplicates from Reed.co.uk and I have only communicated with them once. Similarly, today I have had 3 duplicates from Wanderlust.co.uk and multiple from Jamesinnes.com and duplicate from RSPB to name a few. I have been signing up  - or the equivalent - with these and other companies more than once.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@TonyMC

I don't think this issue has been fixed, it's been happening on a regular basis to me also for a couple of months or more.  The duplicate emails that I receive are always related to posts in these forums which seem to be stuck in a perpetual loop! It doesn't happen with all forum messages, just odd random ones. For instance I've been receiving one message which was posted around 2 weeks ago and have received this same email several times per day almost daily, as the previous person mentioned it's frustrating and confusing.

Here's a screenshot of the actual update I keep receiving, ironically these duplicates are always from this same user.

Link: https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Email/thread-id/16695/page/79

2017-05-17.png

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, I can see what you mean now, it's all emails not just PlusNet's. If you check each e-mail are they all being sent to the same address as you have two e-mail addresses with us from what I can see?

henburywood

Well, actually I have an update on this. The account connection to my Outlook in windows 10 failed on Monday and I spent yesterday with guys from PlusNet and Microsoft taking over my computer trying to fix it - to no avail. After trying out Thunderbird email which I couldn't bear as it is an offence to the eyes, I have now connected my Plusnet accounts to Em Client (looks very good) and up to now I have had no more duplicates. Watch this space!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for letting us know that the change of client has resolved the issue. It sounds like the previous email client had the same profile set up more than once, meaning it was pulling the same email down several times.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@TonyMC

Assuming your reply is in response to my own comments then yes I think I've maybe had a few other non-Plusnet duplicates. I can confirm however that those received relating to Plusnet notifications are all being sent to the same address which is my default address I use regularly.

I have mentioned this issue in a number of other threads and someone mentioned unsubscribing to those particular notifications but it made no difference at the time, besides if that was the cause of the issue I would receive duplicates of all updates to that particular post not just one in particular.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@henburywood

I've been using eMClient on my laptop for several months now ever since MS stopped supporting Windows Live Mail and it hasn't stopped me getting duplicates on this device! I get them both on this laptop and my desktop PC which is using Windows 10 Mail.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Chris

I'm doubtful that a change of mail client is what may/may not have solved this issue for @henburywood. I mentioned above that I also get duplicates quite regularly and one particular message which I received some 20-30 times became so annoying I made sure I deleted it on both devices and also from the Webmail servers but I still kept getting it for quite some time after.

Thankfully the particular message in question hasn't resurfaced lately but it's frustrating that I'm now getting a duplicate for another forum post almost daily.