cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile email stopped working

superdv1
Hooked

Mobile email stopped working

I have an old ic24 email account which I have had for years.  I have always been able to happily use it on my mobile phone when away from home.  However, about 2 weeks or so a go it suddenly has stopped working when on mobile data.  All the other data services are fine so Vodafone (my mobile provider) tell me it's not a fault their end but has to be with Plusnet.  It also works fine over WiFi

i had not changed any settings but have now removed the account & re-instated it several times & tried different ports etc.  Nothing will get it working on mobile data.  It just says 'cannot connect to server'  or it says that it has 'updated'a at a certain time whilst steadfastly refusing to show any new incoming mail.

I did find a 'fix' on the internet whereby I used mu ic24 user=name for the account - which is a series of letters & numbers.  This worked to the extent that I could collect emails but anybody who replied to anything that I ahd sent from my mobile phone had it returned as undeliverable

Am I missing something obvious?

The phone is a Hauwei P10 & it is running Android 8.0.0

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Mobile email stopped working

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Any chance you can PM us a screenshot/photo of the settings on the phone?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
superdv1
Hooked

Have done so, Matthew

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks.

I'll respond to it shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
superdv1
Hooked

As I haven't heard anything despite several messages to say that I have tried to reset the password but it won't do it, I have heard nothing from you.  I assume that you are as stumped as I am! I am also talking to the phone manufacturer who has made me do a hard reset & that still hasn't worked.  Any advice would be welcome

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To recap:

1. The account settings are fine - when connected to the internet over WIFI you can send and receive emails to the account without issue?

This proves you have the correct configuration, the account name and password settings are correct and there is nothing wrong with the Plusnet end of things.

2. If the phone comes off WIFI and connects to the internet via 3G/4G other internet connectivity (browsing websites) is fine but email does not work at all?

This rather suggests an issue with either the phone provider’s internet service (they are blocking email ports) or the phone it’s self - (if this were an iPhone this is where I’d look first) check to see if the phone is inhibiting the email application from using mobile data. It’s a common practice to limit data allowances being consumed. It is possible that an update has introduced new settings or changed existing ones.

Other than seeing the phone as being on or off the Plusnet network generally being on WiFi or 3G/4G is transparent to Plusnet. It would be helpful if you can confirm that email works fine if connected to ANY WiFi network regardless of who provided it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @superdv1

Apologies that Matt hasn't got back to you. He's not in the office right now, could you PM me what you sent to him?

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superdv1
Hooked

Hi Townman

Having tried virtually everything I can think of, I agree that it does seem to me to be a phone problem.  The email works fine on every other mobile device that I have & having checked the phone with my husband's Virgin account, this won't 'connect to server' either.  

However, Hauwei can't seem to solve the problem & Vodafone don't want to know....but I am rapidly coming to the conclusioon that it isn't actually Plusnet's problem despite Voda insisting it is.

Ps the email works fine on any Wifi I connect to

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your PM.

I'll get back to you shortly. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is looking like black art stuff...

Have you noticed any difference between 3G & 4G?  Do you have data enabled on 4G - https://forum.xda-developers.com/p10-plus/help/mobile-data-problems-t3632615

Take a look here - sounds similar https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/840414-after-upgrading-oreo-i-cant-use-my-mobile-data... and references APN settings which I have seen mentioned twice in this context

Could it be an Inbox issue? https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/inbox/m2PrtGZtcpo

This is really old but has the exact symptoms you report https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/282953-email-does-not-sync-over-mobile-data-my-n... (note I have no working knowledge of these beasts)

This might help https://www.androidauthority.com/mobile-data-connection-issues-869393/ - awful web page - I had problems loading it, but when I did, what's there looks like it could be helpful.

You might find developer mode may provide some useful diagnostics … but I would have hoped that your other support resources would have already thought of that?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

superdv1
Hooked

Wow - thank you, Townman.

I've had a good read through & tried various of the suggestions but still no dice Sad That last article says if all else fails, do a factory reset which should solve most software problems.  I did that at Hauwei's request but - apart from being damned inconvenient - still nothing's changed.

It just resolutely states 'cannot connect to server'  The email app says that has updated every time I refresh it to sync but won't show any new messages.

I am still waiting for Hauwei to come up with the answer - as it is their phone- & it is still under a year old.  At this rate, I think it will be going back!