cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails sent to Plusnet's subdomain.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Missing emails sent to Plusnet's subdomain.

Recently I have had a couple of subscription confirmations sent by email to @username.plus.com go missing. The originator has tried a couple more times to send them (no error messaged received by them) but still no joy. Strange thing is, if I get them to send them to a normal domain email address, like @yahoo.com, the emails arrive.
Is it them or us that's at fault? Do they have to set up their systems to cope with subdomain email addresses?
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Missing emails sent to Plusnet's subdomain.

I had this a while back, Bob had a go for me, i was trying to change my password and the e-mail from them went adrift,  Bobs investigation was that there e-mail sender was incorrectly fingered and failing to get past the PN gate, We tried and gave up
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Thanks pierre...  Smiley
mike142sl
Dabbler

You're not alone. I have had some emails fail to arrive as well. I use my own email addresses using my own domain etc. These are forwarded to my work email and my plusnet email at home, and some of them have not arrived?
I raised a ticket yesterday so they still have a few hours to respond. But there is nothing showing as problematic on the service status.
I did get an email stating that a test email I sent, which also didn't arrive, had been blocked because there had been too many emails in that particular hour or something. Will try and copy that into the ticket when I get home.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It /could/ be that our anti-spam appliances are bouncing/refusing to accept the emails based on their Senderbase reputation.
Quote from: nozzer
Strange thing is, if I get them to send them to a normal domain email address, like @yahoo.com, the emails arrive.

If you look at the headers of one of the messages you *have* received, then you should be able to ascertain the IP address of the server that passes the message across to the recipient's network. If we can find out what this IP address is (there may be more than one), then we can do a Senderbase lookup here to see if that gives us any answers.
Failing that, you can turn spam filtering off here, wait 24 hours and then try again and see if you encounter the same problems. If you don't, then it suggests the reason for the missing emails is probably something to do with our spam filtering.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mike142sl
Dabbler

Bob,
When I get home I shall copy the error email I got this morning, but two of the emails I didn't receive were from me from my home PC using plusnet. They both arrived at my work address though.
mike142sl
Dabbler

Just got home to find all yesterdays emails delivered as I logged in.
However the error email I got in return from the test that I sent is as follows in case it helps explain things.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on mail6.atlas.pipex.net.
The message identifier is:    1Pkdwo-0008Qm-OK
The subject of the message is: test
The date of the message is:    Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:44:36 -0000
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
  ****@****.plus.com
    (generated from *****@142group.net)
    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<*****@*****.plus.com>:
    host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.1.97]: 452 Too many recipients received this hour
No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up, and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

Hope it means something to you?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: mike142sl
Hope it means something to you?

Yes it does. It means that our anti-spam appliances don't like the amount of traffic/nature of traffic coming from Pipex's mail servers. I'm guessing from what you've posted that you're using some sort of domain forwarding service? If so, it's the servers that do the domain forwarding that our anti-spam platform has taken a disliking to.
If things seem OK now then you probably don't need to do anything. If the problem resurfaces though, then you might want to raise a support ticket about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mike142sl
Dabbler

Hmm, I do have a domain forwarding service for two domain addresses, but the other address was not affected.