Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails from one of my mailboxes

Dinalt
Dabbler

Re: Missing emails from one of my mailboxes

Hi Poult,

Is this on a PC? If so check that you have sufficient space on your Hard Drive to expand the email file. My daughters laptop has a small SSD as the OS drive and I set it up so all her working files are on  larger mechanical drive - if your email is set to save to a congested drive it wont successfully synch. If you are in this situationyou caneither reset the save location to a larger HD or copy the existing .ost file and then use a virtual link to it (this will save having to redownload all your emails again).

Good luck!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Dinalt wrote:

Got one final thing to sort out - why when i select delete is it sending a copy of the mails into trash and the deleted folder?

more importantly how can I clear these - the button labelled purge logs me out (trash folder). I've deleted the files in the Deleted messages folder and these appear to be gone - I suspect when I go to trash its going to move them to the deleted messages folder therefore meaning I'll have deleted the same messages 4 times. 

Because by default, that is the way ot is designed to work, to protect against the "Oh dear I did not mean to do that ... fat finger mouse click"!!  There are though non-default options if you are happy to remove the safety

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

net.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@poult wrote:

I'm having a similar problem. The Inbox folder on my Outlook client using IMAP has gone empty.

Other folders, like sent items, is synching fine, but after it takes about a minute saying it's synching the inbox, the result is an empty folder.

It is not overly helpful piggy-back posting on someone else's thread some about something entirely different.

The inbox not populating whilst the others do, points to incorrect server settings - you should try setting the "IMAP root folder" to inbox - then refresh the IMAP folders and the inbox should populate correctly.

This is an uncommon issue - not seen any similar posts on this one recently.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.