cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Windows Live Mail 2012

FIXED
Brew_24

Migrating from Windows Live Mail 2012

I have been using Windows Live Mail for some time, blissfully unaware that Windows no longer support it. Following the recent Windows 10 April upgrade, the display is now corrupted (although I can still use the application.) I have tried to move to Mozilla Thunderbird, but after a successful install all attempts to move my email account have met with error upon error! Is there a straightforward way to do this?

3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 55

Re: Migrating from Windows Live Mail 2012

Fix

Welcome to the Plusnet Community. Smiley

The information you need to set up Plusnet email using Thunderbird should be the same as you already use with Windows Live Mail. Plusnet provide guidance in their help page https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/.

Did you use POP3 or IMAP email collection with Windows Live Mail? Are you intending to use the same with Thunderbird?

Providing more specific help might be possible if you could expand on what error messages accompany your "error upon error" experiences. Huh

David
Brew_24

Thank you for your help David. After plenty of trail and error I've finally cracked it (IMAP) -  final error concerned incorrect outgoing server name. More fun to come when I attempt to follow TB instructions on transferring messages and contacts!

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 55

Glad to hear you got Thunderbird working. It can be troublesome because its guessed entries in most of the fields need to be overtyped with correct values. With IMAP messages held in folders on the server should automatically be picked up. However if Sent items were held locally in WLM moving those is trickier.

David