cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating email server to Plusnet network, possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating email server to Plusnet network, possible?

First off, I don’t know what the best board for this question is so I’m posting here (General) in the hope that a kindly mod will move it to its correct home, if indeed it needs it.

So I’m looking to move an existing email server from its current home to here (being my office, with Plusnet static IPs) so I can manage it better. But as a non business customer and having no hosting packages with Plusnet is this even possible?

If I need to move my connections to the business package then so be it, I’ve not had my email about the price increase so I could use that as an opportunity to move, but I want to send and receive mail myself directly without relaying through Plusnet.

I’d appreciate your feedback as regards this.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Migrating email server to Plusnet network, possible?

Gratuitous poke.  Can @bobpullen, @Kelly or @Chris or anyone shed some light on this for me please.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Careful with bumping your own posts Wink

I can't see a reason this wouldn't work, however you may want to wait for someone else to chime in though! I can imagine that your mail server may not have a good reputation initially though if you move it between IP addresses.

Why would you need a hosting account with us if you're not relaying through our servers at all?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that @Chris I wasn't to sure what was involved in migrating it as you might have wanted to control the DNS for example. Running a mail server on what is in effect a residential is not the norm, but my existing one has been online for over 17 years.

I'll wait to see if there is other feedback before progressing.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I guess there's a few aspects to consider here:

1) Will the email traffic get to your broadband link ok? No reason why not, I'm not aware that PlusNet do anything untoward with email

2) Can you just unplug the server, and replug it in where you are? probably not, you'll need to change IP's etc

3) DNS? Yes, you'll need to change it to point to your new public IP. Remember that it can take up to a day for the DNS change to propogate

4) Router changes? you'll need to create "servers" on your router  to map the incoming email protocols to the server

5) email client changes: you may need to tweak the email clients

6) email source reputation: email servers sending mail from a trusted location (a datacentre) might get a much better reputation than email from a broadband IP: I could imagine some emailing system blocking email relayed from a broadband IP

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Even though you are on a fixed IP your IP will be on one of Plusnet's dynamic ranges and some mail servers may refuse to accept emails from you. The advice is to set the server to relay via relay.plus.net.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, @jelv I appreciate that, and the reputation was my biggest worry. Haven't made up my mind so we''l see how it pans out.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@bobpullen is out atm but I'm sure he'll be able to offer you some hints/tips when he's back.  

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
oldblokeh
Dabbler

Yes, it's possible. I run my own mail server from my Plusnet static IP (domestic version, not business), and it's been working for the last 8 years or so. There are some things you'll want to take care of:

1. Ask Plusnet to set the reverse DNS lookup to point to your domain name. This is important. Note that, at least in my case, the static IP is in a static IP block, so will not be confused with a dynamic IP. Don't know if Plusnet still set it up this way.
  2. You may want to consider setting up SPF in your DNS records. This says to other mail transfer agents that only your IP address is allowed to send mail for your domain.
  3. You may also want to consider forking out for a backup MX service. I do this, and it costs me about £25 per year  for the one I use. It gives you three additional IP addresses that you configure as lower priority MX records. If your connection goes down (service outage, power failure, server outage, whatever) then incoming mail will go to the backup MX service and then be forwarded to your server when it comes back up. Generally, mail won't bounce until your server's been unavailable for 24 hours, but I like to be safe.

Sorry if I've been teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...