Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metronet email

FIXED
PeteX
Hooked

Metronet email

I have a metronet email which I use on my old Windows Vista laptop using Windows Mail with POP, since the end of June I've not been able to send or receive any emails, I receive the following error

‘The host 'mail.metronet.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Account: 'Metronet', Server: 'mail.metronet.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D’

I have made no changes to my computer or router, I also use a newer tablet using Gmail also to view messages this also is unable to send or receive messages but on this tablet I have a separate Gmail email which works fine. I am also unable to view the old Metronet.co.uk website, I receive the error message

This site can’t be reached

metronet.co.uk’s server DNS address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

However I have been in Amsterdam in the last few days and was able to send and receive metronet emails and gain access to the Metronet.co.uk website

I have had contact with support who have given me details how to work around the problem using Webmail.

Is there something wrong at my end or with plusnet?  

22 REPLIES 22
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Metronet email

You were probably moved onto the new network at the time mail stopped working. The problem is at the Plusnet end, not yours. It's being looked into. See topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/cant-get-email-into-my-mailbox-but-can-send/m-p/1347368#M15883.

David
PeteX
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, although my access to email is not intermittent and I thought it strange that whilst in Amsterdam I was able to get access to both email and website. 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Metronet email servers themselves are working fine, the problem you have is that they are not reachable over your home connection on the new network. When you were abroad you were on a different network from which the servers were reachable and all was well.

Not all users affected by this problem experience exactly the same symptoms. However message #8 in the topic I linked to advises that Plusnet are aware of the problem and it is being investigated.

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@PeteX, do you know what DNS addresses you're using? (it will normally tell you in the router interface somewhere)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeteX
Hooked

Hi, here are the settings

TCP/IP settings

Broadband network IP address: [Removed]  
Default gateway: 172.16.14.146  
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10  
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9

for your info I'm still having to use webmail to view my email.

Pete

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): IP address removed from a public forum but staff can still see it.

Bigjohn
Grafter

For the last two days email from home base (copper wire connection to the exchange and then to PlusNet server) will not send or receive.

All works via my mobile and with web mail. But this is so inconvenient.

I eventually managed to speak to a human yesterday at the service centre, conversation confirmed there was nothing wrong with my end of things it is at PlusNet or who now runs the Metronet server. 

I could not be told when this would be fixed. Very bad service. I have been with Metronet for more years than I can remember( there office was in Harrow, that's how long ago it is). We all pay our monthly fees with out question and now we are given a second rate service.

Yes, your answer is use Web mail but during the day it takes so long to log in, receive and send emails and as for trying to attach a file forget it. I have to use web mail either early or late in the day.

Come on PlusNet pull your finger out and get it fixed ASAP.

SimonB28
Hooked

FWIW I have exactly the same problem since some point last week.  I have PlusNet broadband and 4 x legacy Metronet email accounts.  I can't access any of the email accounts from the PlusNet broadband and nor can I get to www.metronet.co.uk from the broadband either (for webmail etc).  Looks like they had a major DNS type issue at the end of last week and perhaps this is a hangover?  I have raised a ticket with the service desk and they suggested a router reboot but that didn't fix it.  Awaiting next steps from them.

Kind of annoying as I can't send or receive any mail on the broadband.  It all works fine on a 3G connection, but I've never worked out what outbound mail server I need there?  I'm on 3.

Bigjohn
Grafter

I can log into my Plus net account and it works fine on my PC and Laptop when connected to my router using Outlook or Windows Live.

But I still have no direct connection for email using either Outlook or Windows Live using the "mail.metronet.co.uk" login. I can use the Metronet web mail via the plusnet site. Just using my Metronet user name and password, then drop down list to Metronet. Web mail is slow and cumbersome. It also has an infuriating habit of timing out when compiling a long email. I copy and past now to avoid being shut off. PlusNet know of the problem so all this B.......ks about rebooting etc. is just their way of getting rid of you off the phone.

The problem is there end.

We pay our subscription on a regular basis and now this is the level of service we are getting. VERY POOR. The amazing thing is that no one at PlusNet is willing to commit as to when the problem will be fixed. Has the Metro account been farmed out to third party?

It can't be rocket science to correct the fault it just needs man power and money. If NASA can get Juno to fly all the way to Jupiter and then go into orbit faultlessly why cant PlusNet get the simple email accounts to work.

Will some one "in the know" look at these complaints and respond?

davidwd

Hi

I agree with bigjohn & simonB28 i.e. when is PlusNet going to provide a solution?  Can PlusNet provide timelines for implementing a solution and also advise what the root cause of the problem is?

I have had this problem for over two weeks; I can only connect my devices via a 3G / 4G MiFi device when at home.  When I have connected while on my travels (i.e. not via my PlusNet Broadband, using hotel or clients broadband), there is no problem.

The PlusNet tech support can only advise that this is an ongoing internal issue

Thanks in advance in anticipation of a prompt reply.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@davidwd @Bigjohn @SimonB28 @PeteX, can you all try again for me please and let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bigjohn
Grafter

Hello Bob, I have had the problem with email using "mail.metronet.co.uk" since the evening of the 13 July. I try every day through out the day to see if my Windows Live or Outlook 2016 will send and receive but no. Just the same old error message

Unable to send or receive messages for the John's E-mail account. The host 'mail.metronet.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Server: 'mail.metronet.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 11004

This is using home base PC and laptop. Copper wire connection to the BT exchange and then on to PlusNet server.

If I use my mobile not a problem and Metronet web mail works via the PlusNet site. But as you know webmail is slow.

I hope you have some clout and be able to get this fixed ASAP. John

Colin_Shipway

Hi Folks

Just come on here to see if there is anything about problems with metronet e-mail and lo and behold

It Started about a week ago with mail.metronet.co.uk not being found. Spoke to support who told me that there was a problem and it was being looked at................

Phoned again today and it now must be apparently my computer as it works with webmail.

Doesn't actually explain why it won't work on either of my other two machines, one of which runs a different operating system and e-mail software.

The main reason I transferred my metronet account to Plus net was that I didn't want to have to change the e-mail address all my contacts have been using for a good few years. If I have to do that then I may well look to change Broadband, phone accounts as well.

As you may be able to tell I am not overly impressed with the service from plus net!

Bigjohn
Grafter

I think we all think the same. I certainly do not want to have to change my email address. Like you I have too many people and organisations that know me as is. 

SimonB28
Hooked

No better I'm afraid.  Have re-booted router just in case too.  Still can't get to the website www.metronet.co.uk and can't send or receive metronet email either.  Have tried on my phone too (on wifi) and that still doesn't work.  As noted yesterday, if I use my 3G internet connection, it all works fine.

Simon