cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message rejected due to spam or virus on avasout0n

robatworkuk
Grafter

Message rejected due to spam or virus on avasout0n

I have posted previously when we had this error from relay.plus.net with a particular URL in the outgoing email. However it seems to be happening more and more, and increasingly randomly.

The only pattern I can seem to establish is that this doesn't happen on emails we originate, but on replies, or replies to replies.

For example

• I can send an email to recipient@domain.co.uk. Our server appends a footer with company details. This gets through OK
  • They reply OK
  • I reply to their reply  (nothing is appended by our server and the reply is just one line of text.)         This reply gets rejected by avasout0n  with a 552 error:
    Your message couldn't be delivered and there was no valid enhanced status code being issued by the remote mail system to determine the exact cause, status: '552 pWNNgmRBPHd2LpWNPgPqmr message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.'.
    The following organization rejected your message: avasout06.

What can I look at to find out what part of the reply was causing the rejection? If it was the company URL in the original footer, surely that would have been rejected the first time?  What is the logic behind avasout0n's spam algorithms that I can workaround (or plus.net can fix)?

thanks 

Rob

7 REPLIES 7
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Message rejected due to spam or virus on avasout0n

Hi @robatworkuk,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with sending emails.

I have checked the IP address which does not have a bad reputation. We do have an open incident relating to false rejection of a valid sender domain (IMT-74) but before we put the issue down to this you may want consider the items below.

- hyperlinks in the body of the email
- attachments

- amount of or addresses the email is being sent to

By deleting one of these at a time, this would help you determine if it is the email content that is being rejected as spam.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
robatworkuk
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

I had considered the attachments, and there aren't any. Also these are to only one person directly.
However there is a hyperlink of the sender's email address in a mailto: field.  Could this be causing it? 

As I mentioned above I am trying without the URL weblink, and this hasn't helped - we got some bounces this afternoon.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

robatworkuk
Grafter

This just took a weird turn. I removed any hyperlinks from our server's signatures.  And sent a test blank email to 2 external email addresses. They got immediately rejected but not 552 but 550 invalid domain.   Not sure what domain it means - our internal one or gmail.com / mail.com

Here is the error:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
Rob Gmail (xxxxxxxxrob@gmail.com)
Your message couldn't be delivered and there was no valid enhanced status code being issued by the remote mail system to determine the exact cause, status: '550 sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)'.
Rob (xxxxxxx@mail.com)
Your message couldn't be delivered and there was no valid enhanced status code being issued by the remote mail system to determine the exact cause, status: '550 sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)'.
The following organization rejected your message: avasout07.

Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: EXCHANGE1.ad.domain.co.uk
robxxxxxx@gmail.com
avasout07
Remote Server returned '550 <rob@domain.co.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)'
xxxxxx@mail.com
avasout07
Remote Server returned '550 <rob@domain.co.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)'
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Thank you for confirming @robatworkuk,

As you have changed the signature and no longer receive a 552 error, something in the signature is causing this error. Could you try sending an email through webmail and let us know if you still get the 550 or 552 error?

Would you also private message the email address that you are sending from and the email address you are sending to including the full content of the email, then we can further investigate the 550 error.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
robatworkuk
Grafter

@Jubby wrote:

Thank you for confirming @robatworkuk,

As you have changed the signature and no longer receive a 552 error, something in the signature is causing this error. Could you try sending an email through webmail and let us know if you still get the 550 or 552 error?

Would you also private message the email address that you are sending from and the email address you are sending to including the full content of the email, then we can further investigate the 550 error.

Thanks Jubby,

I am still testing some more to try and get a reproducible pattern. Currently I am at the stage where it's working sometimes and on other occasions getting the error, which makes troubleshooting very difficult. I will post back as and when I can establish some pattern.

Is there anything at your end that will cause 550s on random occasion?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

Is it possible for you to PM us the information asked for above?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
robatworkuk
Grafter