cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message for Plusnet Security regarding my email account

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Message for Plusnet Security regarding my email account

@MatthewWheeler  - I have just gone into My Account to try to reset my password. I found the Question on my account, which gave me places from which it said I could reset me primary and secondary email passwords. When I tried to use the one for the primary, it said words along the lines of I had been sent an email to use for this purpose, and it said it needed to be acted on within one hour. Firstly, I didn't see either of the two emails until at least 12 hours after they had been sent, and secondly (and to my embarrassment), I have deleted them using Mailwasher. I have tried recovering them, but only the first couple of paragraphs have been saved.

Is it possible for you to arrange to resend one of those emails, please? Please note that if that 1 hour requirement affects it, there is no point sending the email before 3pm on 29th Nov.

Thanks, and sorry.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Townman RE: your comment to me in post #29 - having re-read the whole thread, I understand.I'm just trying to juggle quite a few balls at the moment, and possibly not very well - maybe I should avoid the forums until I've caught (or dropped) them all.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

@jab1  You tried to help. That is always important, and I thank you for that.

I have changed the password for my PlusNet account, and those affecting our email accounts. I suspect I will still get dubious emails, but hopefully, Mailwasher will enable me to stop those getting any closer.

I must now get round to fixing where I have used this same password on other accounts.

Thanks to everyone. Hopefully, I haven't caused too many headaches.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @penneck,

I'm glad to hear that the password has now been changed. If you encounter any issues with your account moving forward, please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us and we'll be happy to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
penneck
Aspiring Pro

@TheMightyAJ  - It's funny you should write that. Both of my email addresses seem to be working okay (could that be famous last words), but my wife's email account has a bit of a problem. Whereas I use Mailwasher and Firefox, my wife uses Mailwasher and Windows Live. I have very little experience in setting up Windows Live. I have tried modifying her password and I think it is okay but when she opens Windows Live by clicking on the Process Mail button in Mailwasher, her pc comes up with an error to do with the calendar. It displays a message like "There was an error when attempting to connect to the Windows Live Calendar service"

If somebody would be kind enough to suggest how to fix that, I would be grateful.

Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @penneck, thanks for your post.

Is your wife able to access her emails at all via Mailwasher or is the issue affecting that as well as her calendar?

Is she able to access the email account via webmail?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @OskarPapa  - sorry, I should have made it clear that the emails seem to be working. She sent an email to me, and I replied to it. She received the reply at Mailwasher, and then having clicked on the Process Mail button, the email was moved into her In Tray. That was when this error message came up, as it did every time we went from Mailwasher to where her In Tray was. However, having read your post, I decided to test her emails again, before I replied to you. She had a number of emails from other sources waiting in MW. This time, the error message didn't come up.

My wife read one of the new emails, and while I watched what she was doing, I noticed her pc had Firefox on it (she had always said she used Windows Live). It actually says Windows Live Mail 2011 when the Mailwasher Process Mail has started setting up her email account. When I asked her about having Firefox, she said that was what she used.

Now I'm totally confused. Why is Firefox mentioning Windows Live Mail at all? Has she got her email InTray, etc, in Windows Live, and Firefox has to connect to them? If so, how can we move her email stuff so that it is in Firefox rather than Windows Live, preferably without losing any of the emails in there, and preferably without losing her Address Book, and then how do we disconnect Windows Live?

Sorry this is getting complex

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@OskarPapa  - Ignore that previous email. I said I was getting confused. I use Thunderbird, not Firefox for my emails, so every time I have said my pc did otherwise, I was wrong. Therefore, I need to go back to my wife's pc, and see just what she uses, though obviously, its not Firefox.

Sorry (walks away with tail between his legs).

I'll be back when I have a clearer picture of what her email process is

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@OskarPapa  Let's try again, starting back at your post:-

Up to that point, I had modified the passwords on both my and my wife's email accounts, including in Mailwasher. My wife had tested her email account solely by going into Mailwasher, where I can only guess by now that she no longer had any waiting emails. If that was the case, she would have had to use the "Mail Program" button in Mailwasher to get to her emails already in her In Tray, etc. She got this calendar error message at that time.

I needed to test her modified email account by her sending me an email, and me replying to it. I received it successfully, and replied to it. She received my reply in Mailwasher. I went to her pc, and clicked on the Mailwasher "Process Mail" button, and got that error message.

When I read your post, I thought to test her emails again. By now she had emails waiting in Mailwasher, so used the Process Mail button. They loaded into her In Tray without generating the error message, but my wife had quickly opened one of the emails, and I don't know if this action had prevented the error message or whether it had hidden it. Whatever, we never did see it.

We closed Windows Live, went back to the Mailwasher window, and there being no waiting emails now,clicked on Mail Program. This time we got the error message.

Note that Windows Live works correctly every time, it is only the appearance of this error message that is the problem.

The question is, how do we solve it?

If we decide to give up on Windows Live, is there a way of transferring the emails and the address book that are in Win Live to Thunderbird?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

The time is 11:45 am on Sunday. I've just been reconnected to the Internet after being disconnected since about 8 pm last night. The thing that worried me from the start about changing my PlusNet passwords was 'would I miss one that I didn't know about and be disconnected from the internet?'. The answer was Yes, if you don't have a PlusNet modem. Mine is Netgear. If I had a PlusNet-supplied modem, when my PN passwords were changed, PN would have changed the password that goes with 'username@plusdsl.net' (wherever that is) automatically, but because my modem was supplied by me, they couldn't do that. Fortunately, the young man on the phone at PN when I phoned managed to get me to where the Netgear s/w asked if its Genie could help. I told the s/w that it could, and it went straight to where that username@plusdsl.net was required

SO BE WARNED - if you change your PlusNet passwords, go into your modem software and change it in there as well

Still having the calendar error problem on my wife's pc, but I suppose I could get her to change her email handler from Windows Live to Thunderbird

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @penneck 

I'm happy to see the original issue has been sorted. With regards to the problems you're having with Mailwasher and Windows Live Mail, this isn't something we'd be able to support and I've personally no experience in using these programs.

Hopefully someone from the community will be along soon and able to offer more assistance on this.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet