cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Me and my freenetname email adr have become a permanent error !

fairmaiden
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Me and my freenetname email adr have become a permanent error !

I have a freenetname address i.e. @freenetname.co.uk

My friend has a freenetname address but has taken the option to have a <name>.co.uk

Over the past couple of weeks he is unable to reply to my emails, getting the message:

"A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error"

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Me and my freenetname email adr have become a permanent error !

Hi there @fairmaiden, if you have a different email address you can be contacted on could you as your friend to send over a copy of the message headers from the automatic reply they received please? If you can get them over to us that should reveal the cause of the issue so we can advise further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fairmaiden
Rising Star

OK - this will take some time (days) he is infrequently online and hard to get hold of !!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, feel free to PM them over to me when they get back in touch and I'll take a look at them for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fairmaiden
Rising Star

Have sent a DM of forwarded Delivery Failure message.

fairmaiden
Rising Star

I think I did not send enough information - so I have now DM'd the rest of it!

Sorry about that!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks fairmaiden (I feel like a chivalrous knight of yore saying that lol!) thanks for the message and I'll get back to that shortly. Smiley

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fairmaiden
Rising Star

For everyone reading, I think the general info is:

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-peh-003

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 command unrecognized

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers, the 500 error code can often mean that there's something line firewall or antivirus software on the sender's side causing the issue, is the issue unique to that person that tried to email you or is it affecting anyone trying to reply to your emails?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fairmaiden
Rising Star

My friend only "uses" his laptop which I originally set up for him (Windows 7, WLM, AVG), he doesn't change it in any way

so nothing has changed from when it used to work to now it doesn't.

I have just sent an email to an alternative account and then acessed that and replied to it OK.

Having cruised around these boards for a couple of hours it seems that this does happen (quite a bit with gmail?) over the

years to various people, not always a 500 error. In some cases the PN server is specified (e.g. avasout01) but in my friend's

case it is not:

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be
delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with:
<my email adr> ??:?? This message was created automatically by
mail delivery software on the server .

As this is a PN user to PN user communication, why isn't a remote server specified (or why isn't it specified anyway?)

I suspect from my reading that there is no real solution to this, especially with a 500 error code.

fairmaiden
Rising Star

Well, my friend has just REPLIED to my email (sent this afternoon) and I received it OK, so I guess that, hopefully,

is the end of that.....

I have asked him to reply to the original email (which had the problem) if he still has it just to see what happens.

The successful message header contains:-

Received: from avasout-ptp-001.plus.net ([84.93.223.46])
by Plusnet Cloudmark Gateway with ESMTP
id s62mnFCoNvceYs62mn3NlG; Fri, 20 May 2022 18:04:04 +0100

fairmaiden
Rising Star

Further to the above, my friend has just successfully forwarded the original message to me that was designated as a

"permanent error"......

So, whatever happened seems to be either intermittent or a combination of events or something?

For knowledgeable comparison I am DM'ing a copy of the Message Header to @adamwalker to compare, would be

interested to know if anything comes of this?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@adamwalker 

This is an intermittent recurrent issue. I have seen "500 unrecognised command" on numerous occasions and there are a couple of other concurrent reports here.

Either one of the relay servers is rouge or is at times over-run.

I have a system running network monitoring.  It sends alerts via email using relay.plus.net using my account credentials to myself.  Sometimes during it sending a clutch of messages (they tend to arise as a group) occasionally I will receive a NDR with the 500 unrecognised command error.

I suspect that the error is misleading, as receiving a NDR implies that the message SUBMISSION was successful, but its delivery (somewhere along the way) failed.  That would put the issue somewhere between the SMTP relay servers and Plusnet's inbound (Cloudmark) platforms.  One for JW?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fairmaiden
Rising Star

So, after an hour or so of reading.... is it relevant that the emails were being sent from a mobile broadband connection (Vodafone dongle) meaning a dynamic IP address?

I know Cloudmark now have a system in place to process dynamic IP addresses, but it would account for the sudden fault recovery. Also since he uses the laptop about once every day or so I assume that would be enough time to get allocated a new IP address.

Would be interested to know if other cases are dynamic (or interpreted as) addresses.