cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max number of addresses in one email?

m063
Grafter

Max number of addresses in one email?

My wife has just taken over as secretary of a church group.
She'll need to send a quarterly email to approx 80 people.
Is there a limit on the number of addresses in one email?
Current secretary is with Tiscali which apparently has a limit of 30, so has to send 3 emails to 3 different address lists.
Understandable anti-spam measure but annoying nevertheless.
Thanks
Martin
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Max number of addresses in one email?

As far as I know Plusnet don't limit the number of addressees, however they do use tarpitting to slow down message delivery for long recipient lists. Details of tarpitting can be found here.
Would using a restricted Google Group simplify the quarterly task of emailing members and handle secretary changes more conveniently? Parts of this Community Support Library article provide background to using such a group.
David
m063
Grafter

Thanks, most helpful.
I suspect even registering for Google groups would be beyond many of the recipients Sad , although I think that can be bypassed?
EDIT: the option to "add members directly" was removed in July this year, so no it can't be bypassed,
Lengthy delay in email delivery might be OK.
Is the delay increase linear, ie should I assume around 1 minute delay for 80 people?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I imagine the delay increases non-linearly, could perhaps be 2 or 3 minutes for 80 addressees which might mean several hours to complete sending - however I think that is after arrival on the server.
Thanks for mentioning it is no longer possible to add members directly to Google Groups. I'll add a note to that effect in the article.
David
m063
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
I imagine the delay increases non-linearly, could perhaps be 2 or 3 minutes for 80 addressees which might mean several hours to complete sending - however I think that is after arrival on the server.

If its after arrival on the server then no problem at all.
It wouldn't  matter if it took even a couple of days to arriive, so long as we know it will get there eventually.
I'll raise a ticket to confirm.
Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One way out of the problem - which we use - is to split the mailing list into 4 and send four separate emails (using the BCC option of course)
Simon
Grafter

.. I created a Google group (60 people) for such a thing...
Quote from: m063
EDIT: the option to "add members directly" was removed in July this year, so no it can't be bypassed,

... I was wondering what happened with that.. was looking all over wondering why I couldn't  Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

IME you'll not have any problems sending an email to 80 recipients using our relay servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵