Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many of my legit incoming emails are marked as SPAM

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Many of my legit incoming emails are marked as SPAM

Assuming you didn't make changes to any of the other settings, then it shouldn't have affected volumes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@SirLurkalot wrote:

Where have all the others, at least half a dozen a day, gone? It seems a bit odd.

Do they appear untagged in your Inbox because you reported them as "not spam" and the Cloudmarks have taken notice?

David
SirLurkalot
Grafter
Fixes: 1

No. it feels as if the volume of emails has fallen.  I've upped the SPAM filtering figure but Bob Pullen says that shouldn't have altered from before, so I'll just see how it goes from now on.

Thanks

spraxyt
Resting Legend

No Bob said "assuming you didn't make changes to any of the other settings", but you have - you increased the spam filter figure. Wink

Potentially, larger numbers should make filtering more aggressive giving more positives and that is opposite from what you are seeing. However if the aggression figure also affects "Discard Obvious Spam" processing it's possible the missing messages are being dropped.on arrival.

I suggest setting "Discard Obvious Spam" to Off and give that a try.

David
SirLurkalot
Grafter

I altered that filter setting AFTER Bob said that it wouldn't be changed, just by selecting SPAM  >  Junk.

I will try your "Discard Obvious Spam"  to Off and see if that restores the SPAM level to what I was experiencing earlier..

As I say, it's not a big deal, just seems a bit odd.  Cheers.

drj
Aspiring Pro

spraxyt wrote:

The Plusnet Important information... message sent to me (PREM05) wasn't classed as spam; Is yours the same version?

Mine was PREM10.

spraxyt wrote:

For whitelisting are you using the Envelope from/Return path domain? I think you are aware that using the From header entry won't work.

I see what you mean - the ones which are getting wrongly trapped which are already whitelisted are as follows:

news@email.woolovers.com
offers@mail.eurocarparts.com
IKEA.FAMILY@ikea.co.uk
eurocarparts.com

I've discovered Woolovers are using more than one email address!

The EuroCarParts ones all appear to be the same and about 1/3 are tagged as Spam - I'd thought just putting in the domain name would help.

I've discovered IKEA have altered their email address from IKEA.FAMILY@ikea.co.uk to IKEA_FAMILY@ikea.co.uk - presently about half their emails are tagged as Spam but the other not.

The Spam filter is set to aggression level 4 - to get the true Spam into the Spam box - I might have to drop that, but in the meantime I've added a lot more email and domain names to the Whitelist.

spraxyt wrote:

Is Not spam reporting proving to be ineffective?

No - ones for example from Photobucket, or Machine Mart, or Petrol Prices come in every day, land in my Spam box tagged as Spam and I select and hit the "Not Spam" button to get them back in my Inbox - every day. This evening four out of the five emails were legitimate not Spam.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@drj I get by without any entries in my spam whitelist. However I have several in my blacklist just in case the Cloudmarks miss them. Two of the senders rotate their sender domains periodically to throw scanners off the scent. Obviously this is to catch missed spam whereas your problem is the opposite.

All my entries are just the domain part (everything after the @) taken from the Return-path header.

I have spam aggression set to 2. My understanding of this setting is that setting a higher number increases the risk of legitimate messages being classed as spam. That is not what you want so I suggest reducing your setting to 1 (I think that is the default).

If I visit the IKEA website using the co.uk domain it redirects to .com; excuse the question but is it correct that emails still come from .co.uk?

David
stribs
Grafter

I have the same problem and was given the same advice several months ago, the problem is that many senders change the return address each time so they know when an email address stopped receiving emails. Putting in a return address [into the white list] is not an option in these circumstances. Another problem is when you put in the email address given by a sender so that you do not miss an urgent email [time related] only to find it in the spam box because the return address is not the same as the from address, you may be lucky and have checked the spam box in time. I have found the only way when expecting urgent emails that do not arrive is to log on to webmail every day and check the spam folders to be sure or catching those urgent incorrectly marked as spam emails. This is a pain when all the emails [except the spams] are delivered as they arrive to my tablet. Many of the emails I receive are from well known organisations e.g. Which, about 50% of their emails finish up as spam. It appears that the "not spam" button only works if the return address stays the same for all emails from that sender, and as indicated above they don't always stay the same. It is time Plus got its act together and found a way to allow a combination of return address and sender to be used rather than the unworkable return address used at present.

chalbury
Grafter

I have the same problem with whitelisted email addresses marked as spam