cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing plusnet email only account with BT broadband through Outlook 2010

kwedds

Managing plusnet email only account with BT broadband through Outlook 2010

Hi, I recently switched to an email only plusnet account and changed my broadband provider to BT. I manage two plusnet emails through Outlook 2010.

Since switchover I've experienced problems sending email through Outlook and have used webmail. No matter what I do with Outlook incoming/outgoing server settings, I can't seem to fix this. Can anyone help / advise? I've spend HOURS on this now! Many thanks Smiley

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Managing plusnet email only account with BT broadband through Outlook 2010

Hi kwedds,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Off network connection to the SMTP server can be challenging at the best of times, however with a non-subscription service it's not possible at all.  So let's take the problem in parts.

Are you paying for the email only account?

Can you read (receive) emails, but not send them?

Have you set the SMTP server requires authentication option?

What port number are you using for SMTP?

What error message do you get?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'm struggling to find your account to check things from our side. Could you PM me your username(s) please and I'll check if everything is as it should be from our side. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM. It looks like the account is currently a free account, so our SMTP servers won't work. If you get the SMTP settings for the new provider, you should be able to use that in outlook to send emails Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

In other words, you should be able to read emails using POP3 or IMAP from mail.plus.net or imap.plus.net with your PlusNET account and password but sending mail needs to go via your new ISP's SMTP service, possibly using their account and password details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kwedds

Hi both, thanks so much for all your help. It is a subscription service for mail only - at least that's what I thought I'd signed up for at ~ £1.69/month. I'm currently on hold to customer services to check....

kwedds

So after over a month of trying to sort this I'm now told that due to the age of the account, we are not eligible for mail only - we can only get the generic options package. Argh. At no point - despite giving bank details several times over - has anyone told us this. Any advice? [sorry, Harry - accidentally just sent this as a PM too]

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think your email options need to be looked at by a Plusnet CRT staff member. Whilst the forum help staff will be here on Bank Holiday Monday it might be Tuesday before this is picked up.

David
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just changed the account to the chargeable mail only account, so your parents should now be able to send mail using our SMTP servers Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet