cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox at Capacity every week - what am I missing?

txacoli
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Mailbox at Capacity every week - what am I missing?

In our account, we have 3 different email addresses; the default and two others. Every single week I get an email to say that the mailbox is nearly up to capacity and yet, I've set the email client to delete the email from the server once it's downloaded to the computer on each of these accounts.

I must be missing something really basic here, but I thought by doing that, it wouldn't leave a massive number of emails on the server, but leave them on the computer instead.

I have tried to use the webmail to delete them, but it just drives me up the wall. It takes AGES to load and when I select a raft of emails to delete, it takes AGES to delete them and then we start again with a new set to delete. And besides, I shouldn't have to do that. In all the years I've been with Plusnet, I've never had these emails until the last few months.

Can anyone help me please?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Mailbox at Capacity every week - what am I missing?

Assume you're not using POP3 Protocol?

Are you using an e mail client rather than just slow webmail?

I use M/S Outlook 2019, and my main laptop deletes them from the server, but other devices

are instructed to leave messages on server for up to 14 days.

txacoli
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: Mailbox at Capacity every week - what am I missing?

Hi Gel

I am using Outlook on my laptop and have the POP3 protocol for that. It should delete the emails from the server because I've not ticked the box to leave them on there for 14 days. Other devices use IMAP and will leave the messages on the server.

I guess I use POP3 because I always have, but I'm wondering if I should change the laptop to IMAP too?

The other thing I've found in the webmail are the other folders. I had 1200 emails scattered about in other folders and I don't know why. I use webmail so infrequently and in 8 years of being with Plusnet, I think I've sent no more than 15 emails through it, yet the Archive folder, Deleted Messages folder and Sent Messages folder all had loads of things in them. 1200 to be precise. Could that be why I'm getting this mailbox full message each week, yet I don't understand why all these messages are in there in the first place!!!