Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Capacity

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mailbox Capacity

I get notes to tell me to reduce my mailbox capacity There are no CLEAR instructions on how to do this can anyone help a novice on Thunderebird

15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Mailbox Capacity

Delete old emails which you need no longer - a good portion of what we save is junk - especially sent emails used to share photographs and documents.  Most email clients facilitate sort by size, which can be a proficient way of reducing mailbox utilisation.

Stuff which you need to keep for longevity you can archive into local folders.

Remember to clear out the trash folder.

Do the above for all mailboxes - if you have several, the warning email will list the 5 largest mailbox sizes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

Thank you but as clear as mud for me as an aged non computer literate person Delate one at a time ?Huh

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

View the Inbox or Folder you wish to delete emails/messages from.

Using the mouse click on the first message you want to delete.

Hold down the Shift key and keep depressed.

Using the mouse click the last message you want to delete.

All the selected emails will be highlighted blue.

Release the Shift key

Right click, select 'Delete selected messages' this will move the messages to the Deleted folder.

or

If you want delete all the messages forever hold the Shift key down and use the 'Delete' key

If you move the messages to the Deleted folder then to empty the folder right click on the Delete folder and select Empty Deleted.

HTH

stathe
Rising Star

Thank you but where do I start ?Huh

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

How do you see your challenge?

Knowing how to delete items or knowing what items to delete?

Both of these are individual approaches / choices. Most email clients support sorting on various fields - size, subject, sender etc. Also in OUTLOOK you can right click an item and find associated items by subject or sender. Using those options you can do block deletes as described by Dan.

Personally I select the junk senders first and get rid of them. Then a sort by size and get rid of the big items - usually documents / photos someone has sent which are no longer required or have been saved to a more appropriate platform.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

I have Thunder bird but can get to the plusnet one but still dont understand how and what to delete some are realy old.

Gradually realise that despite long time and loyal use They dont want me much longer but still happy for me to pay

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

How do you draw the conclusion that the business does not want you?

Your mail service has a fair usage storage allowance of 1GB across all of your mailboxes.

The emails which you choose to keep, is a choice for you to make, in other words, you choose how to use the storage allowance which comes with the service.

The decision on "What to delete" is not something anyone can advise you on - we do not know what is in your mailbox.  If you have already deleted the dross we all receive and those emails which you have sent but are no longer of material value ... and thus deem that everything left MUST be retained then you need an email ARCHIVING strategy.

Archiving is a process of copying data from on-line storage to local off-line storage which YOU must then accept responsibility for securing and backing up.  There are plenty of helpful guidance resources on the internet - just do a Google search and take your pick.  For example Archived Messages | Thunderbird Help (mozilla.org)

As to how do you delete emails, I'm not sure that I understand the problem ... you highlight the email and press the DEL key.

@Dan_the_Van has already explained how to delete a block of emails - select the first one, press and hold the SHIFT key, click on the last ... then press the DEL key.

I have also explained how you might select items to be deleted as a block, by sorting on size, sender or subject ... also emails can be selected by searching ... see ...

stathe
Rising Star

Well it has been made pretty clear that we will loose our wired phone and Plusnet e mail sooner or later (is that so ) I want to keep both of these Some say that will not be an option Another organisation is preparing to provide fibre with wire on the posts but no progress so far Sounds like Plusnet may not have provision for Burrowbridge in the future

stathe
Rising Star

I still don't know if I have deleted properly

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You can retain your mail account so long as you keep your broadband with Plusnet.

As for your telephone service, comparatively few internet providers will offer voice services as BT Openreach retires copper borne connections.

You can arrange to move your Plusnet broadband service to FTTP, retaining your email service, which will release your telephone number to move to a VoIP provider of your choice.

stathe
Rising Star

I will stay with Plusnet until given other options by them as I need wired phone and PN e mail

stathe
Rising Star

I still dont know how to do this is it in Web mail or my Firebird  e mails ?? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

I still dont know how to do this is it in Web mail or my Firebird  e mails ?? 

You only need to clear each email account in ONE client e.g Thunderbird. That will remove them from the server and so they will not be seen from other clients viewing the same email account.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There will come a point where “wired” telephone services as we know them will not be available from anywhere. We have a paradigm shift requiring analogue PTSN fixed point telephone services to be migrated to digital Voice over IP services. That is not a service being offered by Plusnet.

At some point your broadband + phone over copper will need to be changed to broadband over full fibre or over copper WITHOUT telephone services. If you still want to retain the land line number that will need to be moved to VoIP with either a separate provider … or move everything to a new joint service provider … saying goodbye to your Plusnet email address.

As for deleting emails after all of the advice offered … what is it you still do not understand?