Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail not being received

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Mail not being received

@maranello wrote:

All of the above suggests that resolution of this issue is going to be on a back burner for quite some time.

I wouldn't say that, we're hoping to go live with the billing engine this week. Obviously there will be a period where we need to focus on any bugs but this email issue is a priority for us and I was trying to call out that this roll out means that there might not be any progress for a couple of weeks.

Plusnet obviously do not have the resources to develop and improve their email provision, even though its resilience has in the past been shown to be sadly lacking. You only have to look at the Email Board  for evidence of long-running and unresolved threads.

Whilst Email is far from perfect its loads better than it has been, there are currently two major issues open at the moment that need resolving and that's this one and the issue where Google are grey listing our servers.  We aim to have both of these fixed as soon as we're done with this project. We think we know what will solve the issues and we're simply waiting to schedule the engineering.

Unfortunately the original problem we have had since the start of this thread affecting a lot more than one 3rd party survey company has become focussed on YouGov only. I was hoping that by working together with YouGov, Plusnet would be able to implement a fix that would have wider reaching impact for some of the organisations mentioned in the early posts for which similar issues were apparent. 

We are hopeful this change will impact all senders however YouGov were the only ones to have been in contact with us, and credit to them they've been good to work with.  Remember it's made especially tricky as some users are still receiving emails from the places that you're not getting them from and YouGov were able to email everyone from a new email address and tell them about the problem.

With this in mind I think I will follow advice and gradually move away from using Plusnet as my main email provider.

I absolutely understand that.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

FWIW I have not had an email from YouGov for a week now - address used is @mydomain.me.uk

Cannot understand why they cannot get their end to work all of the time!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Townman

You could try contacting them to find out, given your knowledge you might be able to elicit a response that sheds light on the reason they have stopped. One reason may be that if you don't actually complete any surveys thet will stop sending them, although you should receive a prompt before they do this.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Have done every survey, received no end notification.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karencraig
Hooked

@JonoH wrote:

@karencraig wrote:

This isnt the first issue I've had with Plusnet this last year which have taken months to be resolved. the last incident was lack of internet for over 3 months.

Hi, I'm really sorry you've had some issues, if they're not resolved please PM me so that we don't take this thread off topic and I'll look into it for you however if it's taken 3 months already it may be that some serious engineering work is needed and if that is the case all I'll be able to do is update you and attempt to escalate it.

It was resolved, eventually, with noone actually thinking not having connection for 3 months was an issue.  I was quoting it as an example of the reduction of customer services, but thank you for offering to escalate.

Shame that the customer serivce you used to provide is not what it is. Should there even be a big roll out, if you arent supporting the customers you currently have, to the standard we are used to?

I agree, we're miles away from where we need to be and even when we do get new bodies it takes a lot of time to get them to the standard where we're happy with them. We are working on it and we show here  an update on our progress every quarter but here is a quick graph that shows we're moving in the right direction.

WaitTimes.png

Good to see Plusnet are aware its an issue, and things look to be improving 

This project has taken years for us to get to this stage and we're frankly not going to pull it because some emails sent by a 3rd party survey company aren't being received, especially when the vast majority of emails from elsewhere are not experiencing issues at all.

I'm not expecting it to be "pulled because some emails...arent being recieved."  i expect Plusnet to do what they always did, do the basics well.  I also find that a rather contemptuous response, and really just reiterates to me that customers are no longer the priority we used to be.  How dare we comment on the service we receive.  I will be reviewing my subscription when it is due for renewal.  

I think the fact, as I've mentioned before,that we have to resort to forums, rather than being able to raise a simple ticket as previously when there is an issue is not helpful 

JonoH
Hero

@karencraig wrote:

I'm not expecting it to be "pulled because some emails...arent being recieved."  i expect Plusnet to do what they always did, do the basics well.  I also find that a rather contemptuous response, and really just reiterates to me that customers are no longer the priority we used to be.  How dare we comment on the service we receive.  

The response was not meant to be contemptuous, it was my attempt to speak honestly and frankly with our customers and to explain that we have to prioritise some works over others, especially when one of this issues impacts a small number of customers and a smaller still volume of e-mails. Thank you though I genuinely appreciate your feedback. 

I think the fact, as I've mentioned before,that we have to resort to forums, rather than being able to raise a simple ticket as previously when there is an issue is not helpful 

Other contact methods are available, you can Tweet or Facebook message us, you can contact us via live chat or you can of course use the phone.

Jono H
JonoH
Hero

We believe this issue has been resolved now.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems, thanks for your patience.

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH

Thanks for your continuing support for this issue, and for letting us know that a fix has been applied.

Please could you give some more details on the extent of the problem and the fix applied. I started this topic when we became aware of email messages not appearing from a number of varied organisations, but the more recent focus has been in relation to non-receipt of YouGov survey emails. Has the fix been implemented by Plusnet or YouGov? Is the fix specific to YouGov? Is the problem identified for YouGov messages likely to affect messages from other sources?

My partner will have to reactivate her account with YouGov to check and feed back if the problem is resolved, before we can confirm if the fix has worked.

JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

@JonoH

I started this topic when we became aware of email messages not appearing from a number of varied organisations, but the more recent focus has been in relation to non-receipt of YouGov survey emails. Has the fix been implemented by Plusnet or YouGov?

Sorry @maranello this was a fix created by YouGov I believe and so only fixes that particular part of your problem.

We have some work that is due to complete at the end of this month, and some more work that is due to complete a little after that that (I think that piece may be delayed though) that *might* help with this, we say might because with the companies mentioned previously some mail is reaching us and we have no knowledge of mail being rejected so we cant saw it absolutely will.

My partner will have to reactivate her account with YouGov to check and feed back if the problem is resolved, before we can confirm if the fix has worked.

Please let us know how this goes, YouGov are reporting increased mail delivery but it would be nice to know our end and my account never stopped receiving them.

Jono H
TootieFrootie
Grafter

Thanks for the continued support on this topic. That goes to out everyone and anyone who has provided input and run with this issue. Perseverence appears to have paid off. Following comments that the Yougov issue should now have been fixed 2-3 weeks ago I asked Yougov to reactivate my account again and, hey presto, I received my first Yougov survey today after almost 6 months! Of course I'm a little wary that this might only be temporary because the last time I was reactivated I received three surveys and then they stopped again but confidence is much higher this time around. Again, many thanks to all.

maranello
Pro

Whilst it is great news that YouGov survey subscribers are now getting regular survey invitations by email, my partner is still not receiving mail from Superdrug Beauty Club, Holland & Barratt, and now it is apparent that she is not getting mail from M&S Sparks card. 

Is it possible that whatever was preventing YouGov messages getting through could also be affecting the above and other organisations' mail messages? 

What if anything will Plusnet do about this problem?

JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

My partner is still not receiving mail from Superdrug Beauty Club, Holland & Barratt, and now it is apparent that she is not getting mail from M&S Sparks card. 

We need to know things like the time and date it was sent, the sender's email address and the email address it was sent to. Without this information, there's nothing we can do.

There's not much we can to at the moment without knowing why these emails failed. We're happy to investigate but we need more information. Also if we're not specifically rejecting them, if it's an issue with the senders set up there's not much we can do at all.

If I look into  no-reply@hollandandbarrett.com (I don't know for sure that's where your newsletter comes from) I can see we accepted two emails onto the platform at 11:05 and we've only rejected one email from it in the last 7 days.

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH wrote:

We need to know things like the time and date it was sent, the sender's email address and the email address it was sent to. Without this information, there's nothing we can do.

If it's not being received, how can I provide time/date sent? If I provide the sender address would be able to search on rejected messages?

There's not much we can to at the moment without knowing why these emails failed. We're happy to investigate but we need more information. Also if we're not specifically rejecting them, if it's an issue with the senders set up there's not much we can do at all.

I was hoping that the YouGov issue and resolution would provide a clue. What was happening to Yougov messages? Were these being rejected and flagged back to YouGov which resulted in them suspending the account?

JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

If it's not being received, how can I provide time/date sent? If I provide the sender address would be able to search on rejected messages?

If you can get the address I can see if anything has been rejected from them by our servers.

I was hoping that the YouGov issue and resolution would provide a clue. What was happening to Yougov messages? Were these being rejected and flagged back to YouGov which resulted in them suspending the account?

We weren't rejecting them and I'm not sure what they did to resolve it. The best  advice I can give is to see if you can get me the email address and I'll look into any rejections for it.

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH wrote:
If you can get the address I can see if anything has been rejected from them by our servers.

No luck with getting this from M&S, but have tried to get account reset - no messages since.

However, better news from Lakeland. They confirmed that the account had been set to suspend emails, but could not confirm why. Sender address is news@e.lakeland.co.UK and messages should have been sent out yesterday, but have not been received.