cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail not being received

Mike6
Dabbler

Re: Mail not being received

@spraxyt Thank you for your helpful replies. Much appreciated.

So, can I assume that if "discard obvious spam" is "off" then no emails sent to me will be silently (from my point of view) discarded? Your statement

"Adding the Return path/Sender domain (or address) for not spam messages to your whitelist might also help get these through"

suggests that some emails still might "not get through" (i.e. at all - I would never see them). Or did you mean "without being tagged [-SPAM-]?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Mike6 One has to recall that first level checks on incoming messages are based on the reputation of the originating server. If that is poor messages are refused and you would not be aware they had been sent. That also applies if you have entered the sender in your Blacklist.

"Discard Obvious Spam" only takes effect at the next level. If that is "On" messages could 'silently' be discarded. If it is "Off" all messages received should go into Inbox, or into the Spam folder if identified as spam and "Move to Spam folder" is set.

To clarify use of "getting through" In my previous comment about Whitelisting, "getting through to your Inbox" is what I meant. Apologies for missing out that phrase. Indications are they would also not be tagged, but I don't have personal experience to confirm that.

David
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Another example of messages not getting through from organisations I subscribe to receive, is Zoopla. I had to contact them to reinstate my account. Their response to my request for further information as to why the account had been suspended is that emails had been returned, but they provided no further information.

Anyone else had similar experience with Zoopla?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @maranello yesterday when you posted this I immediately went to sign up to Zoopla, to see if I could replicate the issue, at 08:02 the emailed me and I received it at the same time.

Granted this was the welcome to your Zoopla account email and not the newsletter (still waiting for one of those) 

We've signed up a second account also and are putting this through an address with the spam filter filled in.

In the meantime, if you have any old newsletters from them we'd love to know the sending address. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
JonoH
Hero

We've since got new property alerts through to both email addresses. Still awaiting a newsletter.

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH

Thanks for looking into this issue again.

Unfortunately I don't have any old newsletters as I removed this option, I just opted for the monthly property alerts. Even though I reinstated my account (18th Jan) I have yet to receive any alerts.

maranello
Pro

@JonoH 

Another incidence of mail not being received.

My partner booked a dental appointment online, but did not get a confirmation email as normal. Had to ring dentist to confirm that confirmation sent, but not received in her inbox. 

Address of sender XXX@XXX.com, and would have been sent on 24th or 25th April

Is there any way you can tell what may have happened to the message?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed email address as it's a public forum.

JonoH
Hero

Hi @maranello  your domain had no DNS rejections on that day, is it possible you can send me a pm with the email address it was sent to?

Jono H
maranello
Pro

Thanks For your help @JonoH 

PM sent

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I am now experiencing a similar issue and I believe my wife has been having this issue on and off for some time.

I have a mailbox configured for my wife and I have one I use when i registered a bit of software.  I use the mailbox for the software rarely and I just tried to request some information form the software provider which said it had sent the email.

None arrived.   So I sent an email to my mailbox from a gmail account.  In fact I have sent several with different subjects and none of these are arriving either.

I even sent one from the plus net mailbox to my gmail account which arrived instantly, replied to it from gmail and the reply has not arrived!

The issue with my wife's email has been periodic in that emails have been arriving days after they were sent.  She accesses her email on an iphone and via thunderbird on  pc.  I access the mailbox I use via webmail only. 

I put the problems with my wife's email down to the iphone but now I have tried to use a plusnet mailbox I think there is a problem.

Any help appreciated.

maranello
Pro

@clownfish 

Thanks for your input. This issue has for me at least been going on for a long time, and apart from a resolution particular to messages fro YouGov no other users have contributed similar experience. You contribution to this thread is welcomed and I hope prompts further response from Plusnet, although my experience suggests it will not get high priority.

Despite responses to the contrary, my issues appear to be limited to an additional mailbox under my account rather than the default.

@JonoH 

Even though I sent the information requested in a pm, and you have acknowledged receipt, I have seen nothing further from you. Do you have any update to report?

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To add to this further the mailbox I was using was largely redundant so I deleted it and set up an alias for the same email address so it forwarded to my gmail account instead.

Lo and behold when I requested the information from the software supplier once again who had my mailbox email address, the response arrived instantly.

Definitely an issue with mailboxes.