Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail not being received

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Mail not being received

@maranello wrote:

Sender address is news@e.lakeland.co.UK and messages should have been sent out yesterday, but have not been received.

Yesterday we received 10 emails from that address and none were declined by us.

so, from the 2 IP addresses that show as valid for e.lakeland.co.uk we're showing  8,936   emails n the past 7 days. But only from the domain bounce.mkt2684.com.

we rejected ~200, at the banner stage. Which usually means their server started talking too quickly or tried to say something that our servers saw as unusual.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JonoH wrote:

Yesterday we received 10 emails from that address and none were declined by us.

I can confirm that I received an email from Lakeland into my Inbox.

I'm embarrassed to say that the rest of your last response means very little to me. Does it have any significance for the observation that Lakeland emails have been appearing in my inbox which is the primary address but not for my partners address which is an additional mailbox? 

For your last comment, are you saying your servers can't cope with high data transfer rates ?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
JonoH
Hero

Basically, we have a limit to the number of emails that a server can send to us an hour to guard against spam and other unwanted complications.

Usually, we'd expect mail to be sent from multiple servers and then this wouldn't be a problem but it looks like these only send from one server sometimes. That means that it will hit its max mail limit and receive a temporary failure notification, their server should then store that mail and retry it later, repeating this until it is accepted or permanently rejected. 

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH

Thanks for your clear explanation. Would this explain why in the past on our individual mail accounts sometimes the same messages arrive in our inboxes 1-2 days apart?

JonoH
Hero

Yes, if they're trying to send too many from one server in too short a time frame they'll start to get rejections and will try to resend at a later time Smiley 

Jono H
Mike6
Dabbler

Hi,

I started a thread about missing emails earlier this year: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Missing-emails-not-junk/td-p/1535376

I still think this is happening. For example,

• Yesterday I didn't receive a confirmation of an order from Marks and Spencer
  • I no longer receive emails from Money Dashboard (I've checked my account and they should still be being sent)

Money Dashboard (moneydashboard.com) is in my whitelist. I've just added marksandspencer.com and my spam filters are set to "1" - least aggressive.

It's frustrating because I use my Plusnet email as my main address and it would be a real pain to move elsewhere!

Michael

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are the messages actually sent from the addresses you've whitelisted? Or are those the contents of the From header which will be shown by your email client?

The actual sender (sometimes called the envelope sender) is shown as Return path, usually the first line of the headers. How to access headers depends on which email client you are using. It is the domain of this header which needs to go in the whitelist.

Clearly you can't look at the headers for messages you don't receive, but hopefully you have some older ones which you could check.

In your spam settings do you have "Discard obvious spam" set? If so disabling that might help.

David
Mike6
Dabbler

Thank you David (@spraxyt),

I've checked the headers from previous emails. The 'return-path' from a previous email from Money Dashboard email is indeed not what I expected (eu-west-1.amazonses.com) so I can see how that might be filtered. But it's not 'obvious spam' is it?

Similarly an old M&S one has bounce.news.marksandspencer.com - is this covered by marksandspencer.com in the whitelist? If so, I'll put this one down to a one-off glitch.

I have tried turning off 'discard obvious spam' before, but - guess what - I then get loads of 'real' spam!!! But I might try that again.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Mike6

I've had "Discard obvious spam" turned off since the Cloudmark appliances were introduced. I don't have a spam problem, so never felt inclined to try with this setting on. As I understand it, "obvious spam" will have a high spam rating; I'd expect that to include message content, not simply the sender domain.

The sender domain that Money Dashboard are using looks to be a shared one; I can imagine this might trigger spam filters, even sufficiently for poor reputation to reject messages before they are spam rated.

For whitelisting the Marks and Spencer sender domain it will be necessary to specify everything after the @. Unfortunately main domains don't cover sub-domains. Sad

David
maranello
Pro

Still nothing coming through from M&S. SWMBO is not happy at missing out on discounts on presents she intends to buy.

No longer getting regular offers from Costa, Majestic Wine, or updates from Zoopla. 

We are losing confidence in reliability of Plusnet email, to the extent that we have had to ring up our dentist to check when check-up reminders were last sent. Also, having agreed to paperless bank and saving accounts, utility bills, etc., now having to check websites directly more frequently. I used to think that using a subscribed and paid for ISP's email would be more reliable than a free gmail or hotmail account, but this is clearly not the case for Plusnet.

Mike6
Dabbler

Now that "Discard obvious spam" is off, I've started to get emails marked "[-SPAM-]", some of which are obviously not spam! Well, to me ... And some that are, but I'll have to live with that.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Mike6 If emails tagged [-SPAM-] are appearing in your Inbox I think that implies they have been scored as slightly spammy, at a level which is higher than your aggressiveness setting. Using webmail to report those you consider to be spam might help the Cloudmark filters to take a stronger line with them. Blacklisting them is also an option if there aren't that many.

You could report those you consider to be not spam, but you'd have to move such messages to the Spam/Junk folder first, since the "not spam" button is only shown when that folder is displayed.

Adding the Return path/Sender domain (or address) for not spam messages to your whitelist might also help get these through.

From experience reported in the Lidl topic it appears that having Discard obvious spam off is necessary to ensure whitelisting works.

David
maranello
Pro

@JonoH wrote:

Yes, if they're trying to send too many from one server in too short a time frame they'll start to get rejections and will try to resend at a later time Smiley 

Just out of interest, would the mail headers show if this is happening? I ask because a recent email from M&S arrived in the Inbox on Thursday, but was apparently sent on Tuesday.

JonoH
Hero

Headers will tell us of every step the email took before being delivered I believe, but its waaaay outta my comfort zone. I'd send them to someone to read, You could also share them here loads of the community can understand them I believe. 

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If these are being grey listed in a manner similar to what Gmail is upto all that the headers will show is a time delay between the out bound sender and PlusNET’s gate way.

What is really required here is diagnostic logs from the senders email service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.