Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail not being received

TootieFrootie
Grafter

Re: Yougov Email Blocked

@JonoH

Thank for the update / progress on this, looking forward to hearing what the issue might be / might have been if / when fully resolved. 

GhostDragon
Hooked

Re: Mail not being received

YOUGOV say it is Plus Net at fault.  I am 50 points off £50!!  Normally I wouldn't bother, but use the money for two charities.  So I am like a dog with a bone, and will have to keep on and on with this.  Have complained to YOUGOV and miraculously the surveys re-appeared, then do not again.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

So let me try to clearly understand what you have said.  You complained to YouGov and then the emails start to appear again … then they do not … and if you complain to YouGov again … they would start appearing again?

That all rather sounds like YouGov have some control over their decision to send the emails … or not … so not entirely a Plusnet issue as claimed, for as stated within this thread, there are other Plusnet users receiving YouGov communications without any issues.

This is far from being black and white as YouGov seeks to suggest.  There might well be some issue causing individual emails from them to be rejected (e.g. perceived to contain spam), but it is their consequential decision to stop sending emails entirely.  They do not NEED to suspend the accounts; re-enabling the accounts appears to result in emails being received, therefore it not a 100% block from Plusnet as has been suggested.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@GhostDragon wrote:

YOUGOV say it is Plus Net at fault.

It's perfectly possible here that nobody is at fault, if it does turn out to be us at fault I'll openly talk about it and explain what the problem was in the clearest least way with the least jargon that I am able.

It's perfectly possible though at this point that it's to do with how their email servers are configured. Remember they did email you all, from a new email system to tell you they couldn't send you emails from their normal system. You got those emails, and you've had other emails since.  If it turns out to be a problem with YouGov it will be up to them how they communicate it to their users.

That being said we've been working with YouGov our end to try to get this resolved as soon as possible, regardless of who's fault it is and our first test wasn't successful so we're looking again at the problem and will update you as soon as we're able.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Tigger
Rising Star

@Townman, I haven't had a thing from Yougov for two whole months, except the letter telling us about the problem. My account with them doesn't appear to be disabled.

And @JonoH, I haven't had other emails since - just a deafening silence. Which I'm very fed up with.

@GhostDragon, can you tell us how you managed to get them to send to you again?

JonoH
Hero

Hi @Tigger you should have received this

Dear YouGov panel member

We're getting in touch as we understand that there may be an issue with our survey emails not always being delivered to Plusnet customers. We're currently working with them to make sure we can resolve this issue as there are a few panel members that have been affected by this and we are keen to get this fixed as soon as possible as we understand this isn't a pleasant experience for our panellists.

If you haven't received surveys from us recently, this may be the reason why. You don't need to do anything on this for now and we will get back in touch once a solution has been reached.

You are able to receive this email from us as we're using a different email service to send this.
Thank you for bearing with us while we investigate this issue.

Best wishes
Emily Young

Jono H
Tigger
Rising Star

@JonoH

I did get that email, and posted it on here, but you said

You got those emails, and you've had other emails since

No "other emails" from YouGov!

JonoH
Hero

Sorry here is what I was trying to say.

• You've had other emails from other senders, since this issue started.
  • You can get emails from YouGov's non standard email system
  • You can't get emails from YouGov's standard email system.

This certainly makes me suspect it's something to do with the sender's configuration, but we're certainly not trying to pass the buck and are committed to fixing it

Jono H
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Whilst the most recent discussion of this thread has been mostly concerned with YouGov, when I started this topic it was because we (or more accurately my partner) was not recieving emails from organisations that were subscribed to. My partner was able to email YouGov and get a response from them, initially by re-instating emails that had been suspended because repeated emails sent had been blocked. When this happened a third time for us and it was apparent to YouGov that this was an issue only for their subscribers using Plusnet email addresses, they issued the notice copied in an earlier post in this thread. There is no indication that this is solely a YouGov problem or a Plusnet problem. I'm sure that @JonoH and his colleagues are working hard behind the scenes to find a solution with support from YouGov. Earlier advice we received from YouGov before they were aware that a number of Plusnet email subscribers were similarly affected was to use an alternative email account - this may ultimately be the best solution for currently affected individuals in this case and may also be a solution for apparent blocking of emails from other organisations.

@Townman To criticise Yougov's action in suspending emails,  in a response to a Plusnet customer voicing their concerns, is in my view not very helpful. I'm sure it must take repeated and consistent evidence that emails are not being delivered for YouGov to take this action, as I would expect any organisation to behave if they did not want their mail servers to be filled with returned undelivered email notifications. There may be other Plusnet customers who have no problem receiving YouGov emails but the fact is that there are a number of Plusnet customers who are experiencing the problem, and as far as we know this does not affect YouGov subscribers using alternative email providers. YouGov may have identified a problem associated with Plusnet email addresses, and appear to be willing to help, but as a paying customer it is not unreasonable to expect Plusnet to take ownership and be proactive in finding a solution in response to the messages of complaint and venting of frustration from its customers. Your attempt to shift the blame in your earlier response is in my view another example of an inappropriate abuse of your priviledged Superuser role.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

No not at all.  What I have simply sought to do is to make clear that this issue is not the Black and White "It is all PlusNet's failure here" as some are seeking to do.  I have not denied that there is an issue somewhere, however it is evident that there needs to be two things happening for some users to receive no emails from YouGov … whilst others are apparently not affected.

It is only in recognising that things are not so black and white that the real cause of an issue can be identified.  Disabling accounts is not helpful here.  There are a number of potential problem profiles, as we have seen in relation to sending emails to some Gmail accounts from some Plusnet accounts … it is not the case there that ALL emails sent from ALL Plusnet accounts to ALL Gmail accounts give rise to the issue that SOME users see.

Similarly in this case, it is evident that even for those who are affected, it is not all emails which are being "rejected" but just some.  It is the case though that in response to some rejections, YouGov totally inhibiting any emails being sent is going to ensure that no emails are received … and no additional evidence is going to be generated to facilitate diagnostics and investigations.  There is more to this than is presently evident - some of the stuff sent by YouGov is being received, some of it is not, the question YouGov need to analyse is what are they doing different for the successful ones to the failed ones?

There is unlikely to be a single email server / service in use by them.  They have already indicated that they successfully used a different email service to send out the advisory emails … so this is not a simple issue of Plusnet receiving from YouGov.

This is not a shifting of blame, but is a reasonable assessment of what has been reported here by users; investigations into the probable have not yet identified the cause … therefore one has to examine the possibility that the improbable might be the cause.  If YouGov is perfect, then someone needs to explain why...

1. They can successfully send out advice that there is a problem?
  2. There are Plusnet users successfully receiving YouGov communications without issue?
  3. Having re-enabled and inhibited an account the emails are again received … even if only for a while

At this stage my money is on an incorrectly configured email server - that could be PlusNet's, however it could equally be YouGov's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

@Townman

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you are saying, most of what you say is only applicable if the issue is only prevalent for emails sent from YouGov to Plusnet. If you take into account my partners' personal experience where there is a similar occurrence of initially emails received from other organisations (B&Q, Superdrug, Hotel Chocolat, Lakeland, Holland and Barrett) which then subsequently stop, the balance of where the problem/blame more likely exists shifts towards Plusnet, albeit on circumstantial evidence (which is all that is likely to be available to the average customer). 

Nevertheless, whilst I appreciate you taking the time to justify in length your earlier responses, this only serves to distract from the issue. Can I suggest in future that you think carefully about whether your responses are either contributing to the solution of the problem discussed in this thread, or simply attempting to manage customers expectations on behalf of Plusnet, the former of which is what I understand the Superuser role to be and the latter what I personally consider to be unhelpful and outside of the Superuser remit.

Tigger
Rising Star

Turned out mu account HAD been deactivated when emails couldn;t get through. Despite my having logged into the site!

I got this is reply to a query:

Hi there,
It looks as though our emails to you could not be delivered and your account was subsequently marked inactive. I have now reactivated your account for you and you should resume receiving survey invitations shortly.
The issue with PlusNet is still not resolved - if possible, I would recommend you updated your email address. You can update your email address on your account page (https://yougov.co.uk/account/) under 'My settings'.
Best regards,
Emily

I didn't wait for emails, I changed the email address to a very old btconnect one, and immediately a survey appeared on the site that I don't think had been visible before, even with the account reactivated.

Once I've had a few emails, and proved it's all working, I'll try and change it back, and see what happens.

Would recommend contacting them via the site and ensuring accounts are reactivated!

karencraig
Hooked

I've also recieved an email from YouGov 

Dear YouGov panel member

We're getting in touch as we understand that there may be an issue with our survey emails not always being delivered to Plusnet customers.  We're currently working with them to make sure we can resolve this issue as there are a few panel members that have been affected by this and we are keen to get this fixed as soon as possible as we understand this isn't a pleasant experience for our panellists.

If you haven't received surveys from us recently, this may be the reason why.  You don't need to do anything on this for now and we will get back in touch once a solution has been reached. 

You are able to receive this email from us as we're using a different email service to send this.

Thank you for bearing with us while we investigate this issue.

Best wishes
Emily Young

maranello
Pro

@JonoH

Is there any update on progress that you can share, ie have you determined the reason for some users sometimes not receiving messages from some organisations?

GhostDragon
Hooked

Lots of confusion on all sides, and advice. AND SO I got myself a Gmail address, changed my contact details with YouGov, and haven't looked back.  The problem for me I was 75 points off 5000 the first time it happened.  Received another survey after "complaining", then it happened again 50 points off the 5000.  So I did get in touch with You Gov again, and in the meantime whilst awaiting reply, went with Gmail (no particular choice in another email address provider, I suppose any would work the same).  Have now reached the 5000 and the £50, which goes to 2 of my charities, so yes, I wanted to complete the 5000 and get the money.  At first I thought it was because I was close to the £50 and they didn't want to pay up.  Anyway have received surveys since changing, I think it's been a week or so now. You Gov tended to agree this was the best way to go under the circumstances.  Just need to remember to check G Mail each day, and have written that reminder in my diary, and by repetition will remember to check without reminders in the next few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hope this is some help to you, sincere regards