Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Mail not being received

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mail not being received

This is an issue we have experienced before. My partner's primary email address is set up as an additional mailbox on our plusnet account. She has signed up for a number of shopping and social sites to receive regular communication by email. Many of these are no longer being received, from the likes of B&Q, Lakeland, Holland and Barrett, Superdrug. She is missing out on offers by email, which she wants to receive. Seems to be a case of one person's meat is another's spam. 

Nothing appears in the spam folder. Messages from Nigeria seem to have no problem getting through to her Inbox.

Can someone at Plusnet look at the email settings to see if there is anything that needs to be changed.

Advice from others also appreciated.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
161 REPLIES 161
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Mail not being received

8 days with no Plusnet response @Chris

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

Still no response from Plusnet.

Somewhat disappointing, to say the least.

mavison
Grafter
Fixes: 1

This a community forum, so PN may or may not see & respond.

Suggest you should start a chat session to get supoort.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Are other emails getting through OK?
Can you be certain that emails you believe you are not getting have been sent? You mention reputable names who do not send deluges of spam mail.
What level of spam filtering have you configured on your mail service - have you enabled "delete obvious spam"?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

Spam filtering is on, discard obvious spam is off. Lowest level of filtering. Applies to all addresses on domain.

I'm wondering if there is some issue associated with having an additional mailbox, which is what my partner uses, as I have not noticed similar happening to my address which was created when first signing up.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Being an additional mailbox makes no difference.

Again - are other emails getting through and how can you be sure that emails you think you have not got have actually been sent?

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Is it a bad thing that your not getting emails from B&Q πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ƒ
maranello
Pro

The reason I believe that emails are not getting through is that they used to appear regularly and then they just stopped.

B&Q emails , in addition to offers, also included copies of purchase receipts and money off vouchers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You have not indicated if your wife is accessing email via webmail or a PC / Smart Phone / Tablet email program.  If not via webmail ... there is some possibility that she's been affected by a load balancer problem ... which was seen a while ago, which I believed had been resolved ... but has been back again.  Plusnet's inbound email server has two IP addresses 'behind' mail.plus.net and pop3.plus.net (these are interchangeable / resolve the same).

PS C:\Users\Kevin> nslookup
Default Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254

> mail.plus.net
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
mail.plus.net   internet address = 212.159.9.81
mail.plus.net   internet address = 212.159.8.81

plus.net        nameserver = ns2.force9.net
plus.net        nameserver = ns1.force9.net

The x.x.9.x address has been temperamental recently.  Depending upon which address mail.plus.net resolves to on your wife's device / machine might have made a difference to receiving emails ... or not.  I reiterate though, as of earlier today, this issue was reported as being resolved.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @maranello could you DM me the affected email address please and I'll escalate it as we've not seen this problem before.

Sorry for the late reply 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
maranello
Pro

@Townman

Thanks for trying to help out. My partner uses both an Android email program on a tablet device and Windows Live Mail on a laptop. Both set up to use IMAP. These should be sufficiently diverse means to rule out the problem being due to the email client. Also the problem first manifested some while back, and there has been no re-instatement since, so I would have thought it unlikely to be resulting from a temporary fault such as the load balancer issue you mentioned. Also, I believe she has re-registered for some of the accounts using the same email address, but still without success, which is what prompted me to think that there may be some block associated with the email account, but I cannot find any such block in Manage My Mail on the Member Centre. Hence why I was hoping for some PN response.

@JonoH 

PM will be sent shortly

MonkeyNuts
Hooked

I'm in a similar situation.

No email received for 2 days now.

tried mail.plus.net and the ip address 

i can receive emails on my android phone (imap settings) but not on pc using thunderbird (pop3).

any help would be appreciated.

thanks Smiley

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@MonkeyNuts Have you had this problem since after 5pm last night ?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
MonkeyNuts
Hooked

last email received on the pop3 settings was 25/10/2017 @ 15:01

can send email ok and haven't changed anything afaik

hope you can help