Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Plusnet to Gmail addresses - what's the problem?

Where @youraccount.plus.com is the sending address?

Not in my experience.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

axelant
Hooked

Just adding my 2p and getting in on the notifications, I have just found the same thing is happening to mail I send to gmail recipients - 3 to 4 days to receive.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I was been watching this thread with great interest. 

Plusnet emails to my Gmail contacts have for a long while been either delayed or never delivered while Plusnet emails to other email clients get through ok.

One thing I find surprising - I have an unpaid for subscription to the Guardian newspaper and their daily updates arrive in my free Gmail account without fail and on time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Gmail is messing around with email sent to their free accounts if it comes from (amongst others) @*.plus.com … but does not mess with the delivery, if it is sent to a PAID for Gmail account from anyone.

I guess that there is no such thing as an unfettered free service?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterB1
Rising Star

I've long accepted that the Gmail delay (and occasional non-delivery) problem is a tricky one for PlusNet to solve, but it is a serious issue and it seems a long time since anyone from Plusnet posted an update on this forum. Any chance, Plusnet?   Maybe you're working on it with a solution in mind? Maybe you're still trying to find a solution? Maybe this is having to wait because you have more pressing priorities? Maybe the problem looks like being insoluble? Why so coy? Silence isn't going to make the problem go away. All I (we?) ask is to be kept abreast of events. Any information is better than none - and some sort of guesstimate on when this might be fixed (if it can be fixed) would be even better!        

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Peter,

I think you have answered all of the questions yourself!!

Plusnet does have a lot on their plate at the moment (see the billing threads).  Google have not responded to enquiries seeking to understand what is going wrong / why they choose to mess with email from myaccount.plus.com being sent to free Gmail accounts, but email sent via Plusnet systems using mydomain.co.uk or sent to paid for Gmail accounts is processed without hinderance.

Without such insight it is not possible to know what needs to be fixed … and given that outside of the known constraint, there is no difficulty sending from PlusNet's email services to Gmail addresses.  The problem is in Gmail's domain; in the absence of a dialogue with Google, all that any impacted ISP can do is guess at what might mitigate Gmail's behaviour.  Plusnet is not going to come here and point the finger at Google.  There is one potential mitigation against Gmail's chosen behaviours which is on the radar; it is not part of the email service (as it is not broken) nor is it a simple modification; it could well cause a different set of issues for users.  Despite people's desires and expectations issue resolution in IT systems is rarely simple and never without unseen risks due to the complex inter-dependence between component parts..

The easier solution is to wholesale ditch Gmail and migrate to Outlook.com

ntokane
Hooked

I called Plusnet about this problem on Monday when I became aware of it. I was told that it affected not only emails to gmail but also Yahoo and BT as well!!

!f they have a problem with BT who own Plusnet what hope do we have.

ntokane
Hooked

Are you seriously suggesting that we don't communicate with anyone who has a gmail account!

JHA1E
Grafter

What I have done to get around this problem is to create my own free GMail account, set it up in my email client with a return address of my Plus Net email account. Instant delivery and reply to my PN account.

ntokane
Hooked

Thank you for that solution. Hopefully I can make it work in Outlook 2003.

I already have a little used gmail account. 

JHA1E
Grafter

It works well in Outlook 2010!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ntokane wrote:

I called Plusnet about this problem on Monday when I became aware of it. I was told that it affected not only emails to gmail but also Yahoo and BT as well!!

!f they have a problem with BT who own Plusnet what hope do we have.

I do not recall seeing any reports with these services here.

Ownership has not bearing here, further BT do not run their own in-house Email service.

Plusnet are not the only ISP being given the run-a-round by Google.

sirjestalot
Grafter

@ntokane wrote:

Thank you for that solution. Hopefully I can make it work in Outlook 2003.

I apologise for drifting off-thread, but bear in mind that if you are thinking of opening an outlook.com email account, to the best of my knowledge - based on the experiences of a friend (the same friend to whose Gmail a/c my Plusnet email is being delayed) - it does not support Outlook 2003 and you'll need a later version of Outlook.

JHA1E
Grafter

Confusion I think. I have both my PN and GMail account set up in Outlook 2010, I have tried with with Outlook 2003 and all works OK. I do not need an Outlook.com account.

sirjestalot
Grafter

@JHA1E wrote:

Confusion I think. I have both my PN and GMail account set up in Outlook 2010, I have tried with with Outlook 2003 and all works OK. I do not need an Outlook.com account.

Understood.  Might be useful for someone else though.