Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

I would guess what @JonoH means by that is not to forward spam to others, or send bulk mailings to people who may not want them or subscribed to them or include dodgy URLs in emails and things like that.  Basically try to avoid sending any emails that other people may report as spam, or an email system might automatically flag as spam. Those type of emails may get the email address and/or the domain grey listed (which would be used for delaying the emails) or black listed (which would be used for blocking emails).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Exactly that @pjmarsh  Smiley 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
barcud
Grafter

This had me a little concerned so I re-ran the test I ran yesterday afternoon.

Both emails (one to googlemail one to gmail from my plus.com account) arrived almost instantaneously!

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

send a few emails to a gmail address 1 hr ago, still has not arrived.
barcud
Grafter

Re-ran my test of yesterday afternoon again at 15:59 today, and "instantaneous" delivery

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Email redirected from one my plusnet emails to gmail, still not delivered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on inmx05.plus.net.

The message identifier is:     1hJzbX-0002bG-Hp
The subject of the message is:  xxxxxxxxxxxx
The date of the message is:    Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:05:20 +0100

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

xxxxxxx@gmail.com
    (generated from xxxxxxxxxx)
    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxxxxx@gmail.com>:
    host relay.plus.net [212.159.9.107]: 452 <xxxxxx@gmail.com> too many recipients in last hour

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

sirjestalot
Grafter

As far as I can tell, replies to a regular Gmail correspondent from my username@username.plus.com account to his gmail.com address are delivering promptly.

sirjestalot
Grafter

@sirjestalot wrote:

As far as I can tell, replies to a regular Gmail correspondent from my username@username.plus.com account to his gmail.com address are delivering promptly.

Sorry, I meant to say "from my xxxx@username.plus.com address" (where xxxx represents any name but in this context is normally one particular name).

JonoH
Hero

Fix

@Dev wrote:

Email redirected from one my plusnet emails to gmail, still not delivered.

Hi @Dev  yours was due to an unrelated issue on our end that's since been rectified, it's nothing to do with how Gmail has treated your mail.

I'm getting ready to call this fixed now as we've not been able to observe any lengthy delays or greylisting since our fix was deployed.

To keep things clear if you are suffering any delays please create a new thread. 

Jono H
jric
Dabbler

I agree you should mark it 'fixed' as

a) if enquirers are looking to solve delay problems by following this thread it will just lead them up a historic cul-de-sac

b) it has become a thread about people saying how their email works i.e just like it always should – and there's a Feedback board for that.

What I would find more interesting is if you could round off the thread with a resume of what exactly you did to solve the matter. That could include exactly what parameters Google started using that was choking their inbound messages. Or was it all a bit more simple than that?

JonoH
Hero

@jric wrote:

What I would find more interesting is if you could round off the thread with a resume of what exactly you did to solve the matter.

We added additional, optional spam prevention measures to our mail servers, we tried SPF but that made things worse, we rolled it back and added DKIM. We are planning on deploying DMARC in the future and are looking into redeploying SPF but are worried that when we do we will experience a couple of days of degraded service. This is because Google (and other mail providers) will see each domain (@username.plus.com) as new and that may cause issues with reputation.

That could include exactly what parameters Google started using that was choking their inbound messages. Or was it all a bit more simple than that?

We don't know, Google don't share their parameters all we know is customers started to experience delays and since then we've been working on trying to resolve the issue. Sorry that I can't be more precise. 

Jono H
Se7en

I redirect from a xx@xxx.plus.com email address to gmail and have been experiencing delayed/undelivered email in the past, but quite bad over the weekend.

Trying a number of tests -  emails sent from another yy.xxx.plus.com account to the original were the  worst. Some emails finally showed up this morning

( I tried registering with the community to write this email yesterday, but the email verification was delayed until 11.17 this morning)

Simon

JonoH
Hero

@Se7en wrote:

I redirect from a xx@xxx.plus.com email address to gmail and have been experiencing delayed/undelivered email in the past, but quite bad over the weekend.

Hi and welcome to the forums @Se7en, We're aware that over the weekend there was a problem that impacted some customers who use redirects. this should now be resolved, if you're still having issues please start a new thread giving as much detail as you can.

It's not caused by Google greylisting the mail servers like we've had trouble with historically, 

Jono H
Se7en

and as a user I can tell the difference.............How?

PeterB1
Rising Star

Congratulations JonoH on what seems to be a fix of the long-running PlusNet-to-Gmail email problem - and thanks for all the hard work you and the PN team have put it.

You've suggested users start a new thread if similar problems emerge again.

With the existing thread, it's been hugely useful receiving email notification whenever new posts were added to the old thread.

Is there any way those of us who've contributed to the old thread can be notified in a similar way if relevant issues are posted on a new thread in future?

Alternatively, can you explain how we can be sure to find such posts on the PN Community site?